pyrosster

New Chip Alert: The ESP8266 WiFi Module (It's $5)

@@bluehash That's is a excellent idea. I would be interested and many of us too. I think that in big quantities we can get a better price.

@@reaper7 Yes, I sent an email too to the manufacturer asking for additional documentation if is available. Let's see what happen.

(http://espressif.com/en/products/esp8266/)

@@username Yes! We are talking about 802.11 b/g/n. The specifications seems very impressive at that price point  :blink:  . Check the link of the manufacturer.

I have found these links with additional information:

AT Instructions Set (English) http://www.electrodragon.com/w/Wi07c

Espressif AT Instruction Set(Chinese) http://www.seeedstudio.com/document/pdf/Espressif%20AT%20Instruction%20Set_CN.pdf

ESP8266 Specifications(Chinese) http://www.seeedstudio.com/document/pdf/ESP8266%20Specifications%28Chinese%29.pdf

@@bluehash

I would be interested in participating in a group buy...

@@bluehash Count me in!

Me too. If they're in that same general five bucks shipped area I'll buy at least two.

Hi All..

Electro Dragon came back saying that 4.50 is the best they could do.. unless quantites were over 50.. which would make it a dollar or so less. It would be cheaper if you ordered it directly rather than shipped to me and then me to you.

I'd also be kinda worried about the emissions of these guys but for low quantity hobby projects, I doubt i'd be too much of an issue.

On a sour note: Broadcom has patents that must be licensed in order to market WiFi devices in most of the world.  China does not have much in the way of patent law.  If you're thinking about building a product to sell, I would avoid this module for legal reasons.  If not, then buy a bunch -- they might not be available at this price forever.

Many thanks for the info! I did not know that. Do they have the same type of thing on bluetooth?

I'd also be kinda worried about the emissions of these guys but for low quantity hobby projects, I doubt i'd be too much of an issue.

Many thanks for the info! I did not know that. Do they have the same type of thing on bluetooth?

There are patent holders in Bluetooth for sure, because there really isn't any such thing as a wireless technology without patents.  Most wireless technologies are also not royalty-free (it is one thing to have a patent and another thing to license it).  A lot of the time, such royalties get included in the price of the chip.  So, if you are buying Bluetooth or WiFi modules from China which use chipsets coming from member companies in Bluetooth SIG or WiFi Alliance, you are probably fine (unless they are forgeries, which is another issue entirely).

FYI - my aliexpress orders have tracking numbers, but they don't read anywhere.  They're starting to pop up on eBay now.

They will port over to USPS tracking numbers once they reach the US.

When you get them, you will receive an email asking you to confirm that you received the order.. or the seller does not get paid.

@@pyrosster - tracking number are aviailable/active after 5-10 days :(

Order Time: 01:43 Aug. 27 2014 on aliexpress,

first information from seller with tracking number: 2014-09-01 08:05:56

and first information on tracking site about my shipment:

1. Nadanie przesy?ki 2014-09-06 20:15 International Postal System

2. Wys?anie przesy?ki 2014-09-07 11:43 GUANGZHOU

3. Nadej?cie przesy?ki 2014-09-10 09:07 WER Warszawa

maybe tomorrow in my mailbox, who knows ;)