43oh

Hi everyone. I just wanted to see if Energia is still in active development. The last release was 19 months ago and I’m running into issues.

I can’t run the pre-compiled binary from the website (running macOS 11 Big Sur) and the build files try to download arm tools from either an inaccessible or nonexistent location (energia.nu/files/mac-arm-tools.zip). I haven’t given up trying to build from source, but it looks like it will take some doing if it is even possible.

I’ve seen a post on GitHub and one here where the answer to running Energia on Big Sur is downgrading to Catalina. Unfortunately, I’m teaching engineering labs with the MSP432P401R LaunchPad and telling students to downgrade isn’t an option (I’m pretty sure Macs released after Big Sur can’t even run Catalina). 

So really I have three questions: 1. What is the chance there will be a build releasing soon that works on Big Sur? 2. Does anyone know what issues cause the application to crash on Big Sur if I want to try and dig for a more generic solution to those problems? 3. Are the arm tools that the build files want generic or specific to Energia?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to help me out.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to see if Energia is still in active development. The last release was 19 months ago and I’m running into issues.

I can’t run the pre-compiled binary from the website (running macOS 11 Big Sur) and the build files try to download arm tools from either an inaccessible or nonexistent location (energia.nu/files/mac-arm-tools.zip). I haven’t given up trying to build from source, but it looks like it will take some doing if it is even possible.

I’ve seen a post on GitHub and one here where the answer to running Energia on Big Sur is downgrading to Catalina. Unfortunately, I’m teaching engineering labs with the MSP432P401R LaunchPad and telling students to downgrade isn’t an option (I’m pretty sure Macs released after Big Sur can’t even run Catalina). 

So really I have three questions: 1. What is the chance there will be a build releasing soon that works on Big Sur? 2. Does anyone know what issues cause the application to crash on Big Sur if I want to try and dig for a more generic solution to those problems? 3. Are the arm tools that the build files want generic or specific to Energia?

What I am not asking: Can you fix my problem this instant?, I just want a status update and any other relevant information that someone here may already have.

What I am not asking: Can you fix my problem this instant?, I just want a status update and any other relevant information that someone here may already have.

Hello, I can work with you to figure out a solution. I think what may be required is to bring the Energia MSP432 board support into the Arduino IDE as a workaround. You can also use Energia inside of Code Composer Studio which should work with your version of MacOS