emdarcher

Garden_automation_and_sensor_network

Here is my current project and entry for the Hackaday Prize:

http://hackaday.io/project/2375-Garden_automation_and_sensor_network

The main purpose originally was to have temperature monitoring of a small outdoor greenhouse, but then I decided to expand it from there. For more info look into the project page via the link above.

Description originally from my hackaday projects page:

This is a project to create a small network of sensors in the garden, and possibly some automation. The sensor data will be logged on an embedded Linux server (probably a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone) and displayed on a web page. One such application for use is within a greenhouse, which may need to monitored in case it gets too hot for the plants, then venting of air could be automated, or the web page could alert the gardener. The nodes will consist of various sensors (temp, Humidity, soil moisture, etc.) attached to MSP430 microcontrollers which communicate using nRF24L01+ 2.4GHz tranceivers. Some will have Solar panels and rechargable batteries and others may have just a 3V button cell, but will last long by using the low power capabilies of the MSP430 and nRF24L01+.

Final code github repository (for code when done):

https://github.com/emdarcher/Garden_automation_and_sensor_network

Prototyping code location on github:

https://github.com/emdarcher/msp430-nrf24l01-testing/tree/master/sensor_comm

YouTube video explaining the system (required for Hackaday Prize entry):

Here is a pic of a prototype node, using internal temperature sensor and calibration data, as well as a HS1101 relative humidity sensor circuit with 555 timer.

post-37479-0-47305600-1408514984_thumb.jpg

post-37479-0-38741500-1408515593_thumb.jpg

Prototype node and receiving launchpad to the left:

post-37479-0-19893100-1408515707_thumb.jpg

Simplified diagram of Greenhouse node:

post-37479-0-53182900-1408515456_thumb.jpg

Here is the system diagram:

post-37479-0-50741900-1408515136_thumb.jpg

This is really cool. I'm in the planning stages for something similar. (cc430 on 915MHz band)

I'm curious in your use of a 555 timer. Have you investigated difference in power consumption over the MSP430's internal ADC?

Keep us updated.

@@greeeg

The 555 was mounted on the PCB in a circuit with the relative humidity sensor to give a frequency output from the change in capacitance. There may be a way to make a clever circuit to use the MSP430's Analog comparator, or the ADC for capacitance measurement, but I decided to just use the circuit on the board. If it was a resistive sensor, rather than capacitive, I would definitely use the ADC.

As for the project, I haven't has as much time to work on it with school and stuff going on, and also many other side projects that I am messing around with, mostly using STM32 and AVR microcontrollers. Will maybe do some more on this project when I feel like it (also the entry didn't make it to the next round of the Hackaday Prize, so finishing it soon is not as much of a priority). I have so many project ideas, but of course never enough time to do all of them! :wacko:  Just the way it is.