43oh

Ethernet issue when transmit large data on TM4C1294

Hello, I am new on Energia and I am trying to setup a webserver with html pages and images stored on a SD card.

The board is the TIVA C EK-TM4C1294XL and the Energia release 0101E0012.

The setup was running pretty well with simple pages.  However when using larger image (jpeg) files with a size like 20 kB, only an empty box is showed on the client browser.

In order to separate the reading flow from the SD and the writing operation to the Ethernet client, I am done a test program using a jpeg file stored into an array of char.

Doing a loop which writes each byte from the array and to the ethernet  client.write is not working, and the returned image to the browser has every time a size smaller than the array.

Therefore, when adding some delay or message output to the console (using Serial.print)  into the above loop, then the image is showed correctly every time. Therefore, the performance becomes very slow like 10 sec required to print a 20K jpeg image

webserver_test_img.ino

Ok I found a different tiger picture for my example, ~24KB, and it worked fine...

JpegTest.zip

Did a sniff too and analyzed with wireshark, I don't see anything wrong.  The connection closed as expected, and my browser even requested a /favicon.ico afterward which was met with an immediate close (since the sketch doesn't provide for any request except /tiger.jpg).

I had to modify the sketch slightly to remove the SD.h stuff since I don't have that in my install, and the StrContains/StrClear functionally replaced with strncmp and memset.

Ok, found the basic issue...

In energia-0101E0012/hardware/lm4f/libraries/Ethernet/EthernetClient.cpp, the EthernetClient::write(const uint8_t *buf, size_t size) function looks like this:

size_t EthernetClient::write(const uint8_t *buf, size_t size) {
        err_t err = tcp_write(cpcb, buf, size, TCP_WRITE_FLAG_COPY);

if (err == ERR_MEM) {
                /* TODO: Need to send smaller chunks if fails */
        }

if(cs->mode) tcp_output(cpcb);
}

In this instance, the "if (err == ERR_MEM)" condition evaluates true.  I'm guessing @@energia meant to put something in there to catch & handle it but never got around to it.  I added some extra code (a volatile catch variable that I printed over Serial from the sketch) to verify that indeed got set:

GET /tiger.jpg HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.0.230
Connection: keep-alive
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/35.0.1916.114 Safari/537.36
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8

sizeof(tiger_jpg): 24851
_ethernet_client_err_mem = 1
GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.0.230
Connection: keep-alive
Accept: */*
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/35.0.1916.114 Safari/537.36
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8

_ethernet_client_err_mem = 0

As you can see, the _ethernet_client_err_mem catch variable I added to my test did test true for the tiger.jpg, but not for the (dummy, zero-output) favicon.ico.

With that modified EthernetClient.cpp library file I can do this:

Serial.print("sizeof(tiger_jpg): ");
            Serial.println(sizeof(tiger_jpg), DEC);
            client.write(tiger_jpg, sizeof(tiger_jpg));
            /* for (uint32_t i = 0; i < sizeof(tiger_jpg); i++) {
              //if ( (i & 0x7f) == 0x40) delay(10);
              client.write(tiger_jpg[i]);
            } */

and forget trying to spoon-feed the TCP/IP layer 1 byte at a time, and it works (a bit snappier I might add).

Hello spirilis,

WAOOH !!!

Many thanks for your very fast and accurate answer.

Using your new release of EthernetClient.cpp and the above modification related to the client.write, right now the system is working perfectly and the image display is fast as expected.

An other time, thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards

Guy