Sign in to follow this  
Frida

Use mspdebug to upgrade msp430fr5969

I followed an instruction from:
http://www.colotronics.blogspot.com.ar/2014/08/msp430-toolchain-in-ubuntu-1404-with.html

Down the page:
# OPTIONAL TILIB v3 installation of msp fet430uif debugger, ignore if you do not have it

I also need to install
sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0

Then I have to do mspdebug tilib --allow-fw-update several times. Maby as su.
Now it sees my msp430fr5969 Launchpad with EnergiTrace.
Now I think the fun starts!

It happens to me also, I have to do

mspdebug tilib

several times before a connection is established with the debugger. I don't know why, but doesn't represent a huge problem neither.

This is a screenshot of the errors:

Screenshot+from+2014-07-20+22:05:27.png

After several of those the communication is established normally, without doing anything in between other than execute mspdebug tilib.

In fact, the last message is a normal initialization, but I don't have any msp430 connected to the debugger, thats why error = 5.

If the udev rules are defined you don't need to use su.

The allow-fw-update thing is needed one time only, after the installation of TILIB on the PC.

I will add the libusb-1.0.0 dependency, thanks for the observation :thumbsu:

The allow-fw-update thing is needed one time only, after the installation of TILIB on the PC.

I had to do it several times, maybe because I had tried so many other things without success.

So now I having fun with Launchpad msp430fr5969 and the UECIDE.

So I built a new tilib and the board is fine with all of my tools.  Unfortunately, I've been running into a lot of problems with FET corruption on this FR5969LP board and also the 5529LP.  The flash ultimately fails on Linux but seems to recover on a Windows machine with the flasher utility.  But now that I have the FET fiwmare up-to-date, everything seems to work well.

Pretty sure that this new release of tilib is mandatory.  I have an older version and this board reports as unrecognized.  Going to update it later.

Ok, I modified slightly the optional sentence ^_^

So I built a new tilib and the board is fine with all of my tools. 

Nice to know. I did a lot of things before arriving to a valid build of the whole toolchain, due more to my lack of knowledge than the process itself. Hopefully I can save somebody time and nerves