thodmir

energia-0101E0012 and msp430fr5969

@@thodmir I only noticed now that you mentioned that you have a MSP430FR5969 board. When did you get this board and what is the revision of this board?

The newer boards a Energy Trace and unfortunately the DLL/.so file that takes care of the programmer does not support this newer revision of the board. There will be a release at the end of this month which will add support for this newer revision of the board.

If the board has "Energy Trace" on it then it is for sure not yet supported by Energia :-(

@@energia. Thank you very much. It does indeed say energy trace, so I yes I will wait for a little longer. (I tried sooo many times to get the third update of the programmer :P).

Thank you all for your replies. I will start with energia to get some general idea and then when I will have more time I think I will try to manage through ccs.

Cheers!!

I had the same problem with my 5969. For me, I was able use CCS v6 to update programmer and it worked fine. But I think Energia had a different programmer firmware. So I had to copy some MSP430.dll from the CCS install to some energia subfolder and it ended up working. 

Edit: 

ccs6/ccs_base/DebugServer/drivers/MSP430.dll -> energia/hardware/tools/msp430/mspdebug/MSP430.dll

I really hope there's a different fix to this though...

Thank you! It can work for me also!

I have one of the Energy Trace FR5969 boards coming, has the updater been updated, or do I need to get the flasher utility linked in the post above this?

The board isn't here yet, I just want to be prepared.

Update:

I downloaded the installer linked by zborgerd. Found its install directory and copied MSP430.dll and HIL.dll to the energia / hardware / tools / msp430 / mspdebug directory, then redid the firmware update process.

Success!

It works great now.

I'll probably write a post on the MCU blog I write for about the update process.

Yeah the latest DLL always ships with CCS, and in theory the open source MSP Debug Package contains the source for that but in practice I've found that to be not true. Always seems the "open source" download lags a bit. Also be aware, I think you need a Windows build environment to build the FET firmware binaries for the MSP Debug Stack--I'm assuming TI has some procedure for building them in Windows and then copying the binaries over to the Linux or OSX copy of the source in order to make a fully functional .so in Linux or OSX. If not, the library will still build (and function for programming & debugging without demanding a firmware update), but allowing mspdebug to reflash a FET not running that library's exact version of code via --allow-fw-update will result in a bricked FET, since it erases the FET firmware but doesn't replace it. This can be fixed by redoing the upgrade from Windows. Also the FET firmware update may require 3 attempts, I think this is due to some timeout in the library (recall seeing something from @@energia about that.)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Yeah the latest DLL always ships with CCS, and in theory the open source MSP Debug Package contains the source for that but in practice I've found that to be not true. Always seems the "open source" download lags a bit. Also be aware, I think you need a Windows build environment to build the FET firmware binaries for the MSP Debug Stack--I'm assuming TI has some procedure for building them in Windows and then copying the binaries over to the Linux or OSX copy of the source in order to make a fully functional .so in Linux or OSX. If not, the library will still build (and function for programming & debugging without demanding a firmware update), but allowing mspdebug to reflash a FET not running that library's exact version of code via --allow-fw-update will result in a bricked FET, since it erases the FET firmware but doesn't replace it. This can be fixed by redoing the upgrade from Windows. Also the FET firmware update may require 3 attempts, I think this is due to some timeout in the library (recall seeing something from @@energia about that.)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

It can timeout and may be related to Modem Manager, but I've not yet determined this.  I disabled Modem Manager on these devices with some udev rules and need to confirm if it changes things.  The flasher is supposed to come with some binary firmware, but even it seems to flash unreliably on Linux.

What I can say is that my tilib library (built from scratch) on Linux believed that my FET was outdated and did demand an update...  And failed.  But I'm pretty new to the eZ FET lite (been a while since I've worked with an MSP430) so I'm not yet sure about the finer details.

I've been having trouble with this issue for a few days since I got my new FR5969 + Sharp LCD Boosterpack. Using Linux-Mint 17 KDE.

1. Loaded the LCD_SharpBoosterPack_SPI.ino example into Energia.

2. It would not compile due to an UPPERCASE-lowercase issue with the SPI.h (spi.h) file.

3. Managed to fix that issue to get it to compile (Verify).

4. Tried to UPLOAD to the target board but got an error msg saying the FET firmware must be upgraded.

5. Clicked on "Upgrade Programmer" and all hell broke loose. It failed to upgrade with an error message number 74. Failed to initialize.

6. So now the FET firmware seemed to be in never-never land.

7.Went to a root terminal, did dmesg | tail and found the Device parameters and serial number fields were 0!

8. Installed MSP430Flasher and entered MSP430Flasher -n MSP430FR5969 -r [Output.txt,MAIN] in the root terminal window which started a successful firmware update.

9. Energia still refised to Upload saying same error, FET firmware must be upgraded.

10. I stumbled on this thread which helped tremendously.

11. I copied the libmsp430.so file from /opt/MSPFlasher/MSPFlasher_1.3.1 folder into the /opt/energia-0101E0012/hardware/tools/msp430/bin folder replacing the file that was there.

12. I am now able to Upload the compiled Sharp_LCD program to the FR5969 launchpad and the Sharp LCD displays the expected.

So thanks to all in this thread!

Jim

I've been having trouble with this issue for a few days since I got my new FR5969 + Sharp LCD Boosterpack. Using Linux-Mint 17 KDE.

1. Loaded the LCD_SharpBoosterPack_SPI.ino example into Energia.

2. It would not compile due to an UPPERCASE-lowercase issue with the SPI.h (spi.h) file.

3. Managed to fix that issue to get it to compile (Verify).

4. Tried to UPLOAD to the target board but got an error msg saying the FET firmware must be upgraded.

5. Clicked on "Upgrade Programmer" and all hell broke loose. It failed to upgrade with an error message number 74. Failed to initialize.

6. So now the FET firmware seemed to be in never-never land.

7.Went to a root terminal, did dmesg | tail and found the Device parameters and serial number fields were 0!

8. Installed MSP430Flasher and entered MSP430Flasher -n MSP430FR5969 -r [Output.txt,MAIN] in the root terminal window which started a successful firmware update.

9. Energia still refised to Upload saying same error, FET firmware must be upgraded.

10. I stumbled on this thread which helped tremendously.

11. I copied the libmsp430.so file from /opt/MSPFlasher/MSPFlasher_1.3.1 folder into the /opt/energia-0101E0012/hardware/tools/msp430/bin folder replacing the file that was there.

12. I am now able to Upload the compiled Sharp_LCD program to the FR5969 launchpad and the Sharp LCD displays the expected.

So thanks to all in this thread!

Jim

Glad you were able to get it to work.  It gave me some grief for a while as well.  I've had to recover this board so many times lately between the FET problems and other issues, that I'll probably just go back to one of my other MSP430 devices for a while.

I had the same problem with my 5969. For me, I was able use CCS v6 to update programmer and it worked fine. But I think Energia had a different programmer firmware. So I had to copy some MSP430.dll from the CCS install to some energia subfolder and it ended up working. 

Edit: 

ccs6/ccs_base/DebugServer/drivers/MSP430.dll -> energia/hardware/tools/msp430/mspdebug/MSP430.dll

I really hope there's a different fix to this though...

This worked for me perfectly. MSP430.dll date was 8/1/2014 in my case versus one from 2013 in Energia 0101E0012 on Win7 64.

Russ