Sign in to follow this  
ernstf

Using TivaC TM4C123GXL + Energ

Hi everyone

I recently left behind windows to emigrate to Ubuntu 14.04, but I'm in troubles, I started using energia and a tiva C tm4c123gxl on windows, I did all the instalation, and a lot of programs on windows, but I can't find a way to do so in ubuntu, I've managed from installing energia (thanks to this site), and getting rid off the "grayed "serial port" option", but when I try to upload my programs, I get:

Unable to open USB device: LIBUSB_ERROR_ACCESS
Unable to find any ICDI devices

I'd searched in a lot of forums, pages, but it's driving me crazy not to find an answer. Does anyone know what I'm missing or doing wrong? exist a forum somewhat called "getting started with energia + ubuntu +etc for dummies?" Thanks for your answers.

I've seen a bunch of posts concerning Energia and Linux. Most people seem to have trouble with permissions. If you run Energia as administrator/root, are you able to use your serial port and programmer interfaces?

Try adding this to a file called /etc/udev/rules.d/61-tiva.rules

ATTRS{idVendor}=="0451",ATTRS{idProduct}=="f432",MODE="0660",GROUP="dialout"

You might have to reboot after this, not sure.  Be sure your user is in the "dialout" group.

roadruner84: yes, but I can't program the tiva C, it's like I'm able to use the serial port, but don't recognize the device, in windows, you select de device drivers, in ubuntu I haven't found a way to do so

spirilis: I think I saw your answer in another forum, and I did so, thanks by the way, it made me possible to enable serial port, but in that forum it said another name, it was "61-stellapad.rules" do you think that's the problem?I checked, I'm part of the group, I did what you said, but still, I can't upload my programs

The rule that @@spirilis posted is the key. Make sure that you as a user are a member of the dialout.

sudo usermod -aG dialout <your user name>

If Linux complains about the dialout group not existing then:

sudo groupadd plugdev

Robert

sorry for the late answer, i was so sick of this that i wanted to throw my pc through the window, ok, lets answer:

@@OppaErich : I typed dmseg, and obtained pages and pages of information, tried to upload something, no luck...

@@energia  "Robert": no complains of linux of dialout group this time, but no luck uploading a program, instead, energia brings:

"Unable to open USB device: LIBUSB_ERROR_ACCESS

Unable to find any ICDI devices"
the option serial port is enabled, i think I saw in the dmseg report that identifies what is the device, but the las output of that section is:
"[  792.430541] cdc_acm 2-2:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.

Did you try to run Energia as root, using sudo ? Does it work ?

I guess the easiest way is to install CCS and let the CCS Installer do the job.

oppa@oppa-hex-ssd:~$ ls /etc/udev/rules.d
61-msp430uif.rules  70-mm-no-ti-emulators.rules  70-persistent-net.rules  71-ti-permissions.rules  85-lpcxpresso.rules  88-logicanalyzer.rules  99-icdi.rules

oppa@oppa-hex-ssd:~$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/99-icdi.rules 
ACTION!="add|change", GOTO="openocd_rules_end"
SUBSYSTEM!="usb", GOTO="openocd_rules_end"
ENV{DEVTYPE}!="usb_device", GOTO="openocd_rules_end"

# PC Instruments
ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="dc48", MODE="777"

# TI Stellaris Evaluation Board (several)
ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="bcd9", MODE="777"

# TI Stellaris In-Circuit Debug Interface (ICDI) Board
ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="bcda", MODE="777"

# LMICDI
ATTRS{idVendor}=="1cbe", ATTRS{idProduct}=="00fd", MODE="777"
LABEL="openocd_rules_end"

oppa@oppa-hex-ssd:~$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/71-ti-permissions.rules 
SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device",ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403",ATTRS{idProduct}=="a6d0",MODE:="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device",ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403",ATTRS{idProduct}=="a6d1",MODE:="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device",ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403",ATTRS{idProduct}=="6010",MODE:="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device",ATTRS{idVendor}=="1cbe",ATTRS{idProduct}=="00fd",MODE:="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device",ATTRS{idVendor}=="1cbe",ATTRS{idProduct}=="00ff",MODE:="0666"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="0451",ATTRS{idProduct}=="bef0",ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="0c55",ATTRS{idProduct}=="0220",ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
KERNEL=="ttyACM[0-9]*",MODE:="0666"

oppa@oppa-hex-ssd:~$ groups
oppa lp dialout cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev users fuse netdev systemd-journal scanner
oppa@oppa-hex-ssd:~$

I did not add this, the CCS Installer did. ;)