43oh

Wolverine Launchpad update for early purchasers

Just got my 2.0 board to replace the 1.6 (with the slashes on the rear silkscreen). The onboard ezFET has been updated from 1.0 to "1.2 with Energy Trace" and the micro from X430FR5969 to 430FR5969. It's a bit wider and has a couple of stand-offs too.

The earlier revision chip marked X430FR5969 seems to be no longer supported, either by the MSP-FET or even by the onboard ezFET 1.0 once the firmware has been updated. I guess that makes the earlier LP useless unless you feel like replacing the MSP430. If you have an earlier one and want to use it, be careful of updating CCS or your FET.

Works fine if you use an older FET firmware. Easy to do with mspdebug, harder/not feasible with CCS.

And you can't forget the all important JTAG shroud color change between versions, the new one is black. Old one was grey ;)

Just got my 2.0 board to replace the 1.6 (with the slashes on the rear silkscreen). The onboard ezFET has been updated from 1.0 to "1.2 with Energy Trace" and the micro from X430FR5969 to 430FR5969. It's a bit wider and has a couple of stand-offs too.

The earlier revision chip marked X430FR5969 seems to be no longer supported, either by the MSP-FET or even by the onboard ezFET 1.0 once the firmware has been updated. I guess that makes the earlier LP useless unless you feel like replacing the MSP430. If you have an earlier one and want to use it, be careful of updating CCS or your FET.

Works fine if you use an older FET firmware. Easy to do with mspdebug, harder/not feasible with CCS.

And you can't forget the all important JTAG shroud color change between versions, the new one is black. Old one was grey ;)

It looks like it's time to order some samples of the new FR5969 device and warm up the hot air tool.

That's exactly what I did. The big question - can Fred manage to solder QFN? And the answer is YES.  :smile: One solder bridge and a couple of pins that needed a bit more solder applied, but my v1.6 Launchpad is now happy again.

I suspect that a home etched QFN board might be pushing my luck. I'll try a LQFP board soon but may draw the line there.

I just proudly showed showed my wife. She was so unimpressed.  :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tried the "hardware upgrade" today - works like a charm.

If anyone wants to try it - remember, there is a thermal pad under the chip, so the best solution is to preheat the board from the bottom.

And shield the surroundings of the MCU with kapton tape or you will make small cap and much smaller resistors happy with teaching them how to fly.

Besides that - piece of cake.