43oh

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like Microsoft is getting started on IoT - so for the .NET programmers - this might be an interesting thing.  I signed up - apparently they're sending out free dev boards - https://www.windowson

I've been reading up all I can on the galileo and its workings, of course just about everything out there so far assumes the default setup with the galileo having the yocto linux distro preinstalled a

There is more information here: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/buildingapps/archive/2014/07/11/rolling-out-the-windows-developer-program-for-iot.aspx

I signed up and it does look like they're sending out boards. I'm a C# developer by trade so I actually got started on the Netduino before shifting over to MSP430, etc. I had heard they're were planning a new push on the .NET microframework.

I'm planning to do a session on microcontrollers for my fellow C# coders soon. (They've seen my F5529 based Darth Vader build monitor at work.) If they can get some freebies to get them started in a familiar environment it might be useful.

(Tried to quote @@jpnorair. Anyone else have problems with quote?)

The .NET framework for Linux is Mono. I remember it as being someone's hobby project, but a colleague tells me that Microsoft are now actively supporting this. The .NET microframework is significantly cutdown compared to the full .NET framework (but still has a lot). Strangely the microframework is interpreted compared to the full framework which is JIT compiled. You'd really think that this would be the case where full native compilation would make sense.

I also found it odd that when asked what dev boards you had experience of that no .NET framework stuff like Netduino was mentioned. I know it's not that popular, but you think that's one time it would be on the list.

I was honest, no .NET, no C# experience but I'm in.

Mono ?

Yes:

(Tried to quote @@jpnorair. Anyone else have problems with quote?)

The .NET framework for Linux is Mono. I remember it as being someone's hobby project, but a colleague tells me that Microsoft are now actively supporting this. The .NET microframework is significantly cutdown compared to the full .NET framework (but still has a lot). Strangely the microframework is interpreted compared to the full framework which is JIT compiled. You'd really think that this would be the case where full native compilation would make sense.

I also found it odd that when asked what dev boards you had experience of that no .NET framework stuff like Netduino was mentioned. I know it's not that popular, but you think that's one time it would be on the list.

I been doing some digging but not getting too much info. Apparently the hardware is a standard Galileo - so I'd have thought you could put it back to Linux/Arduino settings if you wanted. I wasn't sure whether to expect this to have .NET microframework on it or Windows Embedded, but have now seen some strong hints that it'll be .NET microframework.

I'd expect it to run some sort of Windows OS out of the box obviously - but it can run Linux and apparently Mac OS.  Worst case - you could always fall back to Linux :)  Not sure how it sizes up next to a BBB or RPi on that front though.  

@@RobG - I'd bet you're right on the usage of the boards if they're shipping them out without any human verification.  

Looks like it can be expanded to support WiFi - although only via PCI Express cards.  I'm wondering if any of the cards I've got sitting around in old laptops might work...