Sign in to follow this  
Willsy

Best IDE/system for assembly programming?

Just wondering what people here would recommend for programming MSP430's in assembler? I'm new to the MSP and all the various devices and I'm new (and a little lost) to all the tools. CCS, IAR, Energia. My head is swimming at the moment! I'm an experienced assembly language coder.

Thanks

Willsy

Just wondering what people here would recommend for programming MSP430's in assembler? I'm new to the MSP and all the various devices and I'm new (and a little lost) to all the tools. CCS, IAR, Energia. My head is swimming at the moment! I'm an experienced assembly language coder.

I am using free IAR assembler, with log file (http://forum.43oh.com/topic/2646-software-debugging-without-hardware-tools) without breakpoint debugging.

I've used TI's CCS in the past.  It worked well.  MSP430 has a nice ISA for using with assembly.  That said, as of CCS5 there was not great support for inline assembly in the CL430 compiler.  GCC is a long way ahead for inline assembly.  I'm not sure about IAR because I haven't used it.

What tools have you used for ASM development in the past?

Personally, I am a huge fan of the GNU toolchain (emacs+gcc/gas+gdb+make) having using it almost exclusively for countless host and target platforms for nearly 30 years now.