bluehash

[Group Buy-19][O] TMS0803/5 Emulating Calculator With Bubble Display

I would like to have ONE (1) complete kit... How can I have it?

I live in Italy, and I would like to know the complete price with S&H included!.

Please let me know, also if you have in mind to add a case for it!

It's a FANTASTIC design!

M

:-)

p.s. maybe a programmed chip, a bare pcb and 2 bubble displays, would be the same as having the complete  "kit"; the remaining items can ne found here easily!

Please let me know

I think bluehash will answer question regarding ordering the group buy. It will take some time for him to assemble the kits though.

I myself would also like a case, and may be not a case. I would like to have a sliding bottom protector, made of semi-hard plastic that clings to the pcb and make into a smooth back (it is really spiky when holding it). Do they call that a "bumper"? or a bumper with a back. May be someone w/ access to 3D printing?

Will the calculator fit into either of these Hammond enclosures?

Left = 1553D

Right = 1553B

These boxes are cool. The gray stuff is rubbery to provide grip on the case.

I believe I have already created the pcb outline for these boxes as well. 

post-112-0-03166200-1404367979_thumb.png

post-112-0-06389400-1404368178_thumb.png

Hi guys,

Count me in!

bluehash---------------1---------US
cubeberg---------------2---------US
GeekDoc----------------2---------US
Greeeg-----------------1---------AUS

Swampdonkeykami----2---------CA

SergioDeNice----------1----------FR

Me too please:

Swampdonkeykami----2---------CA

SergioDeNice----------1----------FR

2lostkiwis---------------2-----------NZ

Ok, so add me too, please:

Swampdonkeykami--------2---------CA

SergioDeNice-----------1---------FR

2lostkiwis-------------2---------NZ

distefanom-------------1---------ITA

Woah! new members @@2lostkiwis @@SergioDeNice @@distefanom Welcome!

I'll get to this after the July 4th weekend.

@@simpleavr ... Congrats on getting HAD'ed. Forum is still up, so no hugs of death.. phew.

If anyone is interested, please build up the list above.

Shipping International is going to be between $5 to $7.50. This will be in a USPS first class envelope with tracking only til US PORT OF EXIT.

I myself would also like a case, and may be not a case. I would like to have a sliding bottom protector, made of semi-hard plastic that clings to the pcb and make into a smooth back (it is really spiky when holding it). Do they call that a "bumper"? or a bumper with a back. May be someone w/ access to 3D printing?

I'll try to design a case for 3D printing once I get my kits.  I will, of course, send you one or two of any successful design, @@simpleavr.

Will the calculator fit into either of these Hammond enclosures?

Left = 1553D

Right = 1553B

These boxes are cool. The gray stuff is rubbery to provide grip on the case.

I believe I have already created the pcb outline for these boxes as well. 

Nice enclosures,

only drawback are the keys, since there are no pushbutton caps I think it's a bit hard to have a reliable key / key marking alignement together with a good feel of the pressed key...

One should foresee the exact key height and have a very precise keytop aligned with it.

Also the bubble display should be well aligned with the (eventual) hole over it.

I was thinking to replace the cover lid (without removing the grey stuff) with a very dark PURPLE semi-trasparent polyester layer already with markings printed in it. I.e. the one used on industrial panels.

Those fantastic bubble leds could shine well beside such layer (red led colour will go through purple very well: Original Sinclair Scientific was captivating also for this reason!) and have a complete self contained WATERPROOF calculator!!!

Woah! new members @@2lostkiwis @@SergioDeNice @@distefanom Welcome!

I'll get to this after the July 4th weekend.

@@simpleavr ... Congrats on getting HAD'ed. Forum is still up, so no hugs of death.. phew.

If anyone is interested, please build up the list above.

Shipping International is going to be between $5 to $7.50. This will be in a USPS first class envelope with tracking only til US PORT OF EXIT.

@@bluehash I just PMed the gerbers to you. I moved the bypass cap a bit left and center aligned w/ the chip, looks better now. I also added links, on the back silkscreen.

I am not posting the fritzing file for now. If you are interested in getting it to make / order your own boards, please PM me.

post-23-0-76994200-1404394152_thumb.png

@@zeke @@GeekDoc @@cubeberg

The board dimension is 85 x 50mm. I originally want credit card size but have to restrict it to 50mm wide to lower board cost.

The case (or should I call it a "shell"?) I had in mind is popular w/ nowaday calculators.

post-23-0-72946600-1404394841_thumb.jpg

Like I could just slide the pcb and fiction lock it in place. I really like the simplicity.

BTW, the TI-108 is very nice. My kids use them in school.

The case (or should I call it a "shell"?) I had in mind is popular w/ nowaday calculators.

Like I could just slide the pcb and fiction lock it in place. I really like the simplicity.

Are you referring to the cover used on that calculator?  Are you wanting just a backing that you could snap the PCB into to keep the clipped component leads from poking your hand?  I could do one of those pretty easily once I have all the dimensions (board size including thickness, distance for clipped leads, etc.).  I'll knock one out for you as soon as I get a kit put together.

I may get ambitious and try to make a housing with keys like the one on the left in your photo. ;-)

Are you referring to the cover used on that calculator?  Are you wanting just a backing that you could snap the PCB into to keep the clipped component leads from poking your hand?  I could do one of those pretty easily once I have all the dimensions (board size including thickness, distance for clipped leads, etc.).  I'll knock one out for you as soon as I get a kit put together.

I may get ambitious and try to make a housing with keys like the one on the left in your photo. ;-)

@@GeekDoc

I mean only the shell to snap to the back of PCB and avoid poking you palm. The PCB front is for show-offs and has to be seem. The shell is actually a flat piece of plastic w/ rails on both sides up to half of the length. The PCB / Calculator would slide in and out like a slipper. And one can have the board / calculator top up or bottom up.

It would be nice to see it 3d printed. Some of our libraries here has 3d printers that I may be able to access (after a certified course). Do you know of any open-source Linux S/W that I can try?

Hello!Grigorios from Athens,Greece.Add me too, please:

Swampdonkeykami--------2---------CA

SergioDeNice-----------1---------FR

2lostkiwis-------------2---------NZ

distefanom-------------1---------ITA

angelgrig--------------1---------GR