Sign in to follow this  
OppaErich

CCS V6 does not install on Arch Linux

LOL. I came a bit further. A dialog appeared offering the option to submit error logs to TI. Well, you guessed it - fails too. It's trying to zip the logs. Since when is there a zip under Linux, it's always been gzip. I tried to symlink zip to gzip - fails too, an used option is unknown to gzip.

Broken links, tools unknown in the Linux world - nice job TI ! ;(

post-973-0-63021200-1400927176_thumb.png

From what I've seen CCS doesn't not play particularly well with Arch (v5 as well as v6). I can only suggest satisfying all the 32bit lib requirements and give it a go.  Although depending on how much time you have to spend on it, a XP vm may be faster.

It's trying to zip the logs. Since when is there a zip under Linux, it's always been gzip. I tried to symlink zip to gzip - fails too, an used option is unknown to gzip.

zip has been around since the days of pkware for DOS. (early 90's)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Info-ZIP

I've installed all libs I could find. It looks like some more are on AUR but...

==> Continue building lib32-gconf ? [Y/n]
==> -------------------------------------
==> 
==> Building and installing package
==> Install or build missing dependencies for lib32-gconf:
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: gcc-libs-multilib and gcc-libs are in conflict. Remove gcc-libs? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: gcc-libs-multilib and gcc-libs are in conflict
==> Restart building lib32-gconf ? [y/N]
==> ------------------------------------
==> 

I've bit the bullet and booted Win7. Download and installation took about an hour but then it was: Open blinky demo, choose GCC from dropdown menu, build, upload with firmware update first and it was blinking in less than 2 minutes.  :blush:

The "zip issue" is showing that TI's Linux support is half assed at most.

The "zip issue" is showing that TI's Linux support is half assed at most.

There is only a zip file when you download the full offline installer. If you download the web installer it is a native executable that only downloads the features you select.

If you have one of the supported linux distros for CCS then it works fine.  If I was putting together a GUI based software product with native binaries,  I'd be hard pressed to pick which linux distrubutions to support. There are hundreds of variations that are all the same but all completely different.  FWIW: I'm running 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 and I had to install some 32 bit libraries to get this working.  However, to their credit, TI does provide the instructions for the distros they have tested and the required packages for at least 11 different distros and versions.

When I was using an unsupported version of linux and earlier versions of CCS, the unix command 'ldd' came in handy to find out which shared libraries I was missing.

-rick

So I loosely followed the instructions here for getting a virtualbox image running a 32 bit lubuntu on my 64 bit unbuntu. Then I installed CCS V6 on it. Yeah call me crazy...

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Virtualbox_lubuntu_ccsv6

The install went easy, and I didn't have to mess around with any 32 bit libs. It felt usable and performed as I would expect.  I tested with an 5529 Launchpad that had different FET firmware so it had to recover and update the FET firmware which went fine also.

So there is another option.

-rick