43oh

Newbie general C code question

I typically use them in for() and while() loops when the code may be ported to another architecture.

I think the clue finally dropped: so an example would be something where (1) you're iterating over an object that by design cannot have more than 255 elements (so it's appropriate to express the index bit length limit in its type), and (2) the code needs to run on two distinct platforms: one where an 8-bit iterator index is faster than the default word size (uint8_fast_t is roughly unsigned char or a non-standard type; is this PIC8?) and one where an 8-bit iterator index is no faster than or maybe even slower than the default word size (uint8_fast_t is unsigned int or a non-standard type). Oh, and (3) you can't trust that the compiler will be able to select the best type automatically by analyzing the iteration bounds.

That would be an iteration scenario where these types make sense to me. I can see it might happen, but it's not a situation that I've encountered enough that I'd even think of trying to optimize for it.