Sign in to follow this  
chicken

Code Composer Studio v6 now officially released

Hi, Spirilis. I have the same problems you have solved regarding using FAR_ROM with the MSP430x5x family (a MSP43F5438 in my case).

Started with a working program (less than 64Kb) and tried relocating code to FAR_ROM defining a ".far_text" section at "ld" file (just a copy of .text section, deleting .lowtext  and using > FAR_ROM instead of ROM >). Then I put an "__attribute__((section(".far_text"))) " to a function, and built the code. Inmmediately I found the above "relocation truncated to fit: R_MSP430X_ABS16 against symbol" message.

Then I tried defining -mlarge flag at "Properties > CCS Build > GNU Compiler > Miscellaneous>Other", and also at "Properties > CCS Build > GNU Linker > Miscellaneous>Other flags".... no way --> "region 'ROM' overflowed by 2744 bytes"...

But also,  if I delete the __attribute__((section(".far_text"))) " so I'm using the original code allocation (which worked at first) now it doen's work!!! I need to remove trhe -mlarge flags to make it work again...!!!

So -mlarge flags are totally messing up my code allocation...(even with a "small" program)

FYI, I've also defined symbols "__MSPF4305438__", "GCC_MSP430X", and "__LARGE_DATA_MODEL__" at my "Compiler section"...

Could you help me to find what is happening?

(Perhaps a copy of one of your "projects", using FAR_ROM memory, could be a help...)

Thanks in advance!

PS. I have no .highmem section at my ld file

Fwiw, I did a basic program targeting the msp430f5438a and had no problems.

I added this to the very END of the linker script, before the final } (closing brace)-

.highmem :
  {
    . = ALIGN(2);
    *(.far_text)
  } > FAR_ROM

Then a basic main.c:

/*
 * main.c
 */
#include <msp430.h>

int main(void) {
	WDTCTL = WDTPW | WDTHOLD;

P1DIR |= BIT0;
	P1OUT = 0;

while(1) {
		test_function();
		P1OUT ^= BIT0;
		__delay_cycles(800000);
	}
	return 0;
}

__attribute__((section(".far_text")))
void test_function()
{
	P1REN ^= BIT0;
}

Gave me the relocation error at first, then I added -mlarge only to the Properties > Build > GNU Compiler > Miscellaneous, and compiled with success.

CCS build messages:

**** Build of configuration Debug for project hightest ****

"c:\\ti\\ccsv6\\utils\\bin\\gmake" -k all 
'Building file: ../main.c'
'Invoking: GNU Compiler'
"c:/ti/ccsv6/tools/compiler/gcc_msp430_4.8.371/bin/msp430-elf-gcc.exe" -c -mmcu=msp430f5438a -I"c:/ti/ccsv6/tools/compiler/gcc_msp430_4.8.371/msp430-elf/include" -I"c:/ti/ccsv6/ccs_base/msp430/include_gcc" -Os -g -gstrict-dwarf -Wall -mlarge -MMD -MP -MF"main.d" -MT"main.d" -o"main.o"  "../main.c"
../main.c: In function 'main':
../main.c:13:3: warning: implicit declaration of function 'test_function' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
   test_function();
   ^
../main.c: At top level:
../main.c:21:6: warning: conflicting types for 'test_function' [enabled by default]
 void test_function()
      ^
../main.c:13:3: note: previous implicit declaration of 'test_function' was here
   test_function();
   ^
'Finished building: ../main.c'
' '
'Building target: hightest.out'
'Invoking: GNU Linker'
"c:/ti/ccsv6/tools/compiler/gcc_msp430_4.8.371/bin/msp430-elf-gcc.exe" -mmcu=msp430f5438a -Os -g -gstrict-dwarf -Wall -mlarge -Wl,-Map,"hightest.map" -o"hightest.out" "./main.o" -T"../msp430f5438a.ld"  -Wl,--start-group -l"c" -l"gcc" -Wl,--end-group 
'Finished building target: hightest.out'
' '

**** Build Finished ****

Thanks for your help, spirilis.

I was finally able to compile a "big" program sending some of the code to the FAR_ROM. I had some issues with c libraries (libc.a, libgcc.c and so on), which were being located at .text  section, "overflowing" it.  But I could solve them redefining the .text section to exclude such libraries so they were located to the .far_text section at FAR_ROM.

It is not a definitive solution but it works.

Thanks again for your help...

Good Morning,

sorry for my question

I have just installed CCS v6.0.1.00040 if I use the gcc compiler to compile the "robg-w5500-with-dhcplib" I get the reported error. If instead to use gcc I use the Ti compiler I don't get any error.

It seems to be related with the linker script!

Please, could you tell me some suggestions  in order to fix the problem ?

Thank you very much.

Paolo 

**** Build of configuration Debug for project eth_gcc ****

"c:\\ti\\ccsv6\\utils\\bin\\gmake" -k all 
'Building target: eth_gcc.out'
'Invoking: GNU Linker'
"c:/ti/ccsv6/tools/compiler/gcc_msp430_4.8.371/bin/msp430-elf-gcc.exe" -mmcu=msp430g2553 -Os -g -gstrict-dwarf -Wall -Wl,-Map,"eth_gcc.map" -o"eth_gcc.out" "./dhcplib.o" "./dnslib.o" "./main.o" "./msp430server.o" "./w5500.o" "./wizdebug.o" -T"../msp430g2553.ld"  -Wl,--start-group -l"c" -l"gcc" -Wl,--end-group 
c:/ti/ccsv6/tools/compiler/gcc_msp430_4.8.371/bin/../lib/gcc/msp430-elf/4.8.0/../../../../msp430-elf/bin/ld.exe: eth_gcc.out section `.text' will not fit in region `ROM'
c:/ti/ccsv6/tools/compiler/gcc_msp430_4.8.371/bin/../lib/gcc/msp430-elf/4.8.0/../../../../msp430-elf/bin/ld.exe: section __reset_vector loaded at [0000fffe,0000ffff] overlaps section .text loaded at [0000d038,00010015]
c:/ti/ccsv6/tools/compiler/gcc_msp430_4.8.371/bin/../lib/gcc/msp430-elf/4.8.0/../../../../msp430-elf/bin/ld.exe: region `ROM' overflowed by 130 bytes
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake: *** [eth_gcc.out] Error 1
gmake: Target `all' not remade because of errors.

**** Build Finished ****

Hm yeah, code too big. Check some of the settings in the CCS project properties- you want the -ffunction-sections parameter turned on in the GCC compiler, along with the --gc-sections option turned on in the Linker. Make sure those are enabled so unused functions get purged from the binary. I haven't tested this codebase with the new GCC yet IIRC.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Thank you very much for the useful advice, 

now I am able to build the project without errors, I only get 2 warning messages that seem not to be too important (??). 

The bad news is that the code doesn't work. After download and run it, when I push the button (P1.3) the system send the DHCP request but doesn't get success. 

The strange thing: on the board, the LED named ACT doesn't blink at all! (the others, SPD, LINK, DUP are on).

I have tried to disable the DHCP request commenting out the firsts line of code in order to statically set IP address: still I am not able to ping the board.

0) Here it is the DHCP dialog:

Beginning:
Waiting for PHY: PHY up
dhcp_loop_configure(): Sending DHCPDISCOVER
dhcp_send_packet(): Our MAC = 00:08:DC:04:03:00
dhcp_loop_configure(): Waiting for DHCPOFFER
dhcp_loop_configure(): RXrecv = 0, virtualRXrecv = 0
dhcp_loop_configure(): RX_RD = 0, RX_WR = 0, TX_RD = 250, TX_WR = 250
dhcp_loop_configure(): Loop count 500 out of 500
dhcp_loop_configure(): TIMEOUT
dhcp_loop_configure returned error: DHCPlib Timeout Waiting for Reply

1) The first warning messages :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

../dhcplib.c: In function 'dhcp_send_packet':

../dhcplib.c:251:2: warning: passing argument 3 of 'send' from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
  send(sockfd, NULL, (uint16_t *)scratch, 1);  // Submit SEND command to commit the packet over the wire
  ^
In file included from ../dhcplib.h:27:0,
                 from ../dhcplib.c:23:
../w5500.h:181:7: note: expected 'u_int *' but argument is of type 'uint16_t *'
 u_int send(u_char s, const u_char * buffer, u_int * length, u_char retry);
       ^
'Finished building: ../dhcplib.c'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) The second one :

../dnslib.c: In function 'dnslib_gethostbyname':
../dnslib.c:270:2: warning: passing argument 3 of 'send' from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
  send(sockfd, NULL, &udp_pkt_len, 1);  // Submit SEND command to commit packet over the wire
  ^
In file included from ../dnslib.c:24:0:
../w5500.h:181:7: note: expected 'u_int *' but argument is of type 'uint16_t *'
 u_int send(u_char s, const u_char * buffer, u_int * length, u_char retry);
       ^
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried to change the casting from ('uint16_t *)  to ( u_int *). The warning messages disappears but the system still hangs.....

Strange, when I use the CCS Ti native compiler the same code works fine !!

Does both compiler (native Ti and GCC ) coexist on the same CCS installation ?

Thank you for your patience !!

Paolo

Yes the GCC compiler coexists... I haven't tested this code with it yet (just the old mspgcc that never worked with CCS). I wrote the dhcp and dns stuff FYI. Sounds like there's something weird going on there.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4