Sign in to follow this  
chicken

Code Composer Studio v6 now officially released

@@jpnorair just pulling your leg ;-) that being said, most/many that develop other things than mobile apps and web sites will run a VM with whatever they need to do their actual work.

I do a lot in a VM, but VM is clunky and slow during compiling.  

I do a lot in a VM, but VM is clunky and slow during compiling.  

So why would working in OSX be the best development environment?  Sounds counterintuitive to me

FWIW: I have an imac running linux and I'm very happy with the Apple hardware.

So why would working in OSX be the best development environment?  Sounds counterintuitive to me

The obvious answer is that the advantages of using OS X outweigh the downsides, at least for me and many others.

My observation when attending industry shows and conferences.

It has been a long time since I actually went to conferences, but I have noticed that in the videos I have watched of the presentations, almost all of the best presenters are using OS X.

What is particularly difficult to understand is why TI would choose to support Linux and not OS X, since getting something running on Linux is 99% of the way towards getting something to run on OS X.

More gcc issues ..

So I tried to compile a simple C++ blink led program .. it choked ...

from blinkled.cpp:5:/home/kimballr/opt/ccs6_0_190/ccsv6/ccs_base/msp430/include_gcc/iomacros.h:50:32: error: expected unqualified-id before string constant     #define sfrb_(x,x_) extern "C" volatile unsigned char x asm(#x_)                                ^/home/kimballr/opt/ccs6_0_190/ccsv6/ccs_base/msp430/include_gcc/iomacros.h:76:32: note: in expansion of macro 

Git integration may just be enough to make me to go for it. Unfortunately my full CCS licence (from a Piccolo control stick deal) only covers V5, so I'll need to keep that around too. I don't tend to do much stuff over the free limit anyway.

Wouldn't git integration just be part of Eclipse, not something TI added themselves? Isn't it possible to install CCS5 into an existing (more up-to-date) eclipse installation and get access that way, or to add git support to the CCS version of eclipse?

Just wondering; I have a full license for CCS for contracting work, but only use the IDE to verify a project builds under it before hand-off.

The last time I tried installing CCS into an existing Eclipse instance it had to be a out of date (3.x) 32 bit version. I just went with the integrated installation. At least this time it's 4.3, but is it still limited to 32-bit?

v6 is working pretty well for me.  The beta was a bit clunky and the App Center never worked.  After tracking down a proper libudev0 for Ubuntu 13.10 64bit, the release version is functioning quite well.  A few years ago, TI gave me a full platinum license and it transferred over to v6 with no issues.

Yes, I think git integration in CCS v6 is a feature of Eclipse. I tried to set it up with CCS v5 but without much success. So I'm happy to see that it just works with v6.

Does anyone else have trouble importing the empty USB project? CCS keeps waiting for:

file:///C:/ti/msp430/MSP430ware_1_80_01_03/usblib430/MSP430_USB_Software/MSP430_USB_API/examples/emptyUsbProject/specialtirex.html 

Other example projects import fine.

I am trying out CCS v6 and I am very satisfied. The CCS is faster than v5 and "CCS Simple" is great. It really simplifies the work.

FWIW, I don't think this actually enables Large Memory support either. Creating a section that lives in FAR_ROM (the memory ld script symbol for 0x10000+) and assigning a function to it results in a cryptic message like:

./ste2007.o: In function `ste2007_init':

ste2007.c:(.text.ste2007_init+0x4): relocation truncated to fit: R_MSP430X_ABS16 against symbol `ste2007_issuecmd' defined in .far_rom section in ./ste2007.o

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

gmake: *** [nokiahello.out] Error 1

gmake: Target `all' not remade because of errors.

I'll have to see tomorrow if this basic program works on the F5529, if so then at least it's a reasonable step in the future direction for free use of CCS on all the MSP430's.

EDIT: Quite mistaken, this GCC supports -mlarge.

Go into project's Properties > CCS Build > GNU Compiler > Miscellaneous, and add an "Other" flag as -mlarge.

Then looking at the ASM output, I see the "calla"'s and such.

And from msp430-elf-objdump -x, my "ste2007_issuecmd()" function lives at:

00010000 g .highmem 00000032 ste2007_issuecmd

0x10000 :-)

Hi, Spirilis. I have the same problems you have solved regarding using FAR_ROM with the MSP430x5x family (a MSP43F5438 in my case).

Started with a working program (less than 64Kb) and tried relocating code to FAR_ROM defining a ".far_text" section at "ld" file (just a copy of .text section, deleting .lowtext  and using > FAR_ROM instead of ROM >). Then I put an "__attribute__((section(".far_text"))) " to a function, and built the code. Inmmediately I found the above "relocation truncated to fit: R_MSP430X_ABS16 against symbol" message.

Then I tried defining -mlarge flag at "Properties > CCS Build > GNU Compiler > Miscellaneous>Other", and also at "Properties > CCS Build > GNU Linker > Miscellaneous>Other flags".... no way --> "region 'ROM' overflowed by 2744 bytes"...

But also,  if I delete the __attribute__((section(".far_text"))) " so I'm using the original code allocation (which worked at first) now it doen's work!!! I need to remove trhe -mlarge flags to make it work again...!!!

So -mlarge flags are totally messing up my code allocation...(even with a "small" program)

FYI, I've also defined symbols "__MSPF4305438__", "GCC_MSP430X", and "__LARGE_DATA_MODEL__" at my "Compiler section"...

Could you help me to find what is happening?

(Perhaps a copy of one of your "projects", using FAR_ROM memory, could be a help...)

Thanks in advance!

PS. I have no .highmem section at my ld file

Hi, Spirilis. I have the same problems you have solved regarding using FAR_ROM with the MSP430x5x family (a MSP43F5438 in my case).

Started with a working program (less than 64Kb) and tried relocating code to FAR_ROM defining a ".far_text" section at "ld" file (just a copy of .text section, deleting .lowtext and using > FAR_ROM instead of ROM >). Then I put an "__attribute__((section(".far_text"))) " to a function, and built the code. Inmmediately I found the above "relocation truncated to fit: R_MSP430X_ABS16 against symbol" message.

Then I tried defining -mlarge flag at "Properties > CCS Build > GNU Compiler > Miscellaneous>Other", and also at "Properties > CCS Build > GNU Linker > Miscellaneous>Other flags".... no way --> "region 'ROM' overflowed by 2744 bytes"...

But also, if I delete the __attribute__((section(".far_text"))) " so I'm using the original code allocation (which worked at first) now it doen's work!!! I need to remove trhe -mlarge flags to make it work again...!!!

So -mlarge flags are totally messing up my code allocation...(even with a "small" program)

FYI, I've also defined symbols "__MSPF4305438__", "GCC_MSP430X", and "__LARGE_DATA_MODEL__" at my "Compiler section"...

Could you help me to find what is happening?

(Perhaps a copy of one of your "projects", using FAR_ROM memory, could be a help...)

Thanks in advance!

PS. I have no .highmem section at my ld file