43oh

Capacitive Touch Booster Pack for the Launchpad $4.30

For 4.30/10 bucks, you get a board of copper (basically) that takes up the entire launchpad, and the new msp430g chip.

It's more of a limited demo board then a booster, since it makes it very hard to implement/attach/add other parts to it.

The ipodness of it does make it very useful as a scrobber like tool like the powermate. Good for video and audio scrolling.

Well, at least with a Java interface it seems some people at TI are LEARNING

that everyone doesn't run Windows.

They got me for two. We'll see how long it takes goode olde TIe to ship 'em.

Website said "Ships in 24 to 48 hours". We've heard that one before too... :-)

-Rusty-

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what to do with these gizmos.

It is obvious that they will be used in a HMI but what could that be? There isn't that much resolution.

Maybe they could replace mechanical buttons on a thermostat for the house?

Maybe they could replace a numerical keypad on an alarm system?

Maybe they could be a game controller?

Could you use this behind a piece of glass? Like a glass door?

You could possibly make an HMI for an intrinsically safe environment with this. That would be useful.

I wonder how cold temperatures affect the operation of the circuitry? It would suck if your alarm system was offline because the new keypad is too cold.

Then there's the haptic feedback issue. That nice kerchunk of a keypress is gone with this setup. You'd have to simulate that feedback with an LED or a buzzer click/chirp.

It will be interesting to see what people come up with.

I wonder how cold temperatures affect the operation of the circuitry? It would suck if your alarm system was offline because the new keypad is too cold.

While I can't guess for the proximity sensor, atleast the capacitive circle will warm right up by spinning it around some. Fingers + Copper + Friction = Heat.

Just ordered one of these packs.. $4.30 shipped to the UK.. can't be beaten.. not sure what Im gunna do with it yet.. but 8K of flash and another 8 IO lines on the included MSP430G2452 are a big plus :)

I already have a couple of MSP430G2452s on sample order.. but they are in back order and have been for weeks.. at the moment each day the est shipping date goes back a day :( so if they Mayans are right I won't ever get my samples but will still get a chip to play with from the booster.

Mine have already been shipped, so I guess they didn't underestimate demand this time :P

Though, they're shipping via Shenkers, a courier I've never heard of before. And their tracking system is down. :(

Their tracking system couldn't find my number. If it's like the freebie eZ430's I got, Schenkers is used to

freight the items from Europe, probably the Netherlands(?), to the US and then to Ft Worth if it's like last time.

From there they use FedEx to get the product to its destination.

-Rusty-

Mine have already been shipped, so I guess they didn't underestimate demand this time :P

Though, they're shipping via Shenkers, a courier I've never heard of before. And their tracking system is down. :(

Their tracking system couldn't find my number. If it's like the freebie eZ430's I got, Schenkers is used to

freight the items from Europe, probably the Netherlands(?), to the US and then to Ft Worth if it's like last time.

From there they use FedEx to get the product to its destination.

-Rusty-

I just was able to track it, it's from Singapore this time.

Yeah, the free EZ-F2013s were annoying to track. They went through Singapore and the Netherlands before they hit my doorstep... one of them several months later.