TI_Trey

Quadcopter BoosterPack

Would you be interested in a $200 quadcopter based on a LaunchPad  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the idea is that the brain is swappable, i.e. it's a LaunchPad that goes on top.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

I was trying to get at something a little different - that there are people with quads already, who might switch out their motor driver board for this one if they knew they could easily 'switch brains' with it.  For those people, buying another frame and set of motors isn't strictly necessary.

Just a thought.

Here's a little more information on how its setup:

4x TMS320F28027F + DRV8312 make up the ESC.  That is the bulk of what is on the board which you can see on the first post.

1x C2000 LP acts as the brain.  This board decodes the control signals and sends torque commands to each of the ESCs via a PWM signal.  This LaunchPad runs the open source AeroQuad firmware on top of Energia...which also means other LaunchPads could be used as the brain.

Control Inputs come via a standard RC 2.4GHz radio and receiver.  Because the LaunchPad doesn't have 1 million capture inputs I am using a receiver which supports S.Bus.

3 axis accelerometer, gyro, magnetometer, barometer and GPS

I agree that for efficiency it would be better to integrate the "brain" microcontroller on board and do away with the headers, but part of the cool factor of this is the open source nature and the ability to share boosterpacks between the different LaunchPads.

I'll post some pictures of the boards when I get them next week.

I agree that for efficiency it would be better to integrate the "brain" microcontroller on board and do away with the headers, but part of the cool factor of this is the open source nature and the ability to share boosterpacks between the different LaunchPads.

Another option would be to integrate the MCU and keep the headers....turn the entire thing into a launchpad-like platform that you can stack with new/existing booster packs to extend the functionality.  

May be an odd suggestion but maybe include something that supports FAA approved aircraft lighting using LEDs. Red to left, green to right and such... simple search tells you what you need to be an aircraft.

I only say this because I'm resurrecting my E-Flite Blade CP and thinking of autonomous and some accuracy regarding lighting.

I dream, and I like pickles. No one cares. I live within a few miles of an airport so this could be an issue, well not the pickles, of course. Not that I'm disinterested in this quad. I'd love to have something someone else in my neighborhood doesn't.

And if you're wondering, no sweet pickles- simple dill work fine. :D

Thanks for the comment.  I'm actually a pilot so I appreciate aircraft safety probably a little more than the average person.  This is just a prototype board right now, so I chose to use blue and green LEDs because I think they are pretty.  If we go to production, I'll consider switching out to red/green and adding a strobe.

I'm interested as well. Please post update :)

PS: was at the Faire and the game of drones was probably the biggest attraction. My son didn't want to leave so I had to stay with him and watch the fights.