Sign in to follow this  
codyneslen

Energia Example WirelessMonitorSensor wont compile

Hi Everyone!

I am trying to use the AIR430 Booster pack, MSP430G2452 uC and programming it with Energia 0101E0012 on a Mac. If I simply try to compile the examples given in energia (for example, WirelessMonitorSensor), I get a compile error as follows:

/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/msp430/libraries/AIR430BoostUSAFCC/utility/Platform.cpp: In function 'void A110x2500SpiRead(unsigned char, unsigned char*, unsigned char)':
/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/msp430/libraries/AIR430BoostUSAFCC/utility/Platform.cpp:84:28: error: 'SPIMISO_SET_MODE' was not declared in this scope
/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/msp430/libraries/AIR430BoostUSAFCC/utility/Platform.cpp: In function 'void A110x2500SpiWrite(unsigned char, const unsigned char*, unsigned char)':
/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/msp430/libraries/AIR430BoostUSAFCC/utility/Platform.cpp:114:28: error: 'SPIMISO_SET_MODE' was not declared in this scope

If I write my own program that just loads the AIR430BoosFCC.h and SPI.h headers (using the Sketch/Import Library.../AIRBoostUSAFCC), I get a different error:

In file included from /Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/msp430/libraries/AIR430BoostUSAFCC/AIR430BoostFCC.h:29:0,
                 from test.ino:1:
/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/msp430/libraries/AIR430BoostUSAFCC/utility/A110x2500Radio.h:109:10: error: 'boolean' does not name a type

The code to generate this error is:

#include <AIR430BoostFCC.h>
#include <SPI.h>

void setup()
{
  pinMode(RED_LED,INPUT);
  Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop()
{
  Serial.println("Hello World");
  delay(1000);  
}

Any ideas how to get this working? Thanks!

Turns out that the USI based SPI implementation was never converted to use the new pinMode_int() that set the appropriate SELx registers.

Try adding the follwoing lines to hardware/msp430/variants/launchpad/pins_energia.h just under the "#if defined(__MSP430_HAS_USI__)" together with the other XXX_SET_MODE defines.

#define SPISCK_SET_MODE (PORT_SELECTION0)
#define SPIMOSI_SET_MODE (PORT_SELECTION0)
#define SPIMISO_SET_MODE (PORT_SELECTION0)

Below is the actual patch:

diff --git a/hardware/msp430/variants/launchpad/pins_energia.h b/hardware/msp430/variants/launchpad/pins_energia.h
index 005425f..fa5f7d6 100644
--- a/hardware/msp430/variants/launchpad/pins_energia.h
+++ b/hardware/msp430/variants/launchpad/pins_energia.h
@@ -69,6 +69,9 @@ static const uint8_t DEBUG_UARTTXD = 3;  /* Transmit Data (TXD) at P1.1 */
 #define TWISCL_SET_MODE  (PORT_SELECTION0 | INPUT_PULLUP)
 #define DEBUG_UARTRXD_SET_MODE (PORT_SELECTION0 | INPUT)
 #define DEBUG_UARTTXD_SET_MODE (PORT_SELECTION0 | OUTPUT)
+#define SPISCK_SET_MODE (PORT_SELECTION0)
+#define SPIMOSI_SET_MODE (PORT_SELECTION0)
+#define SPIMISO_SET_MODE (PORT_SELECTION0)
 #endif

#define DEBUG_UART_MODULE 0x0

That did the trick, thanks!

Also, I discovered that you must include SPI.h before AIR430BoostFCC.h or it throws the compile error I showed in my hello world program above. When using the sketch/import buttons, the AIR430BoostFCC.h is included before SPI.h and gives the error. I am sure you could explain why this happens (I have not investigated it), but I thought I would let you all know!

The correct include order is:

#include <SPI.h>
#include <AIR430BoostFCC.h>

Thanks again!