mixographer

[Energia Library] Parallel Thermal Printer Library

Hi,

I have created a library to work with parallel thermal printers. This is specifically for those receipt printers that use the ESC/POS protocol. I have used the printers in a fortune teller machine I built with a LaunchPad. I wrote an I2C library and a Shift Register Library for Arduino, but I can only get the shift register version to work with Energia and LaunchPad. I have tested the Shift Register version of the library with LaunchPad and the 2553 chip. 

The library is at my Github:

https://github.com/mixographer/430-Thermal-Printer-I2C

You will want to use the _SR version, "Thermal_Printer_SR.h" and "Thermal_Printer_SR.cpp." 

The library supports printing with bold, underline, upside-down, inverse, etc. and there are example sketches 

that show how to print. There is also a schematic that shows how to hook up a 595 shift-register to the parallel printer. 

Should be useful if you find a parallel version of the common receipt printer. Around here the serial versions are scarce and more expensive, so the parallel printers were what I could find easily. 

Hi,

I have created a library to work with parallel thermal printers. This is specifically for those receipt printers that use the ESC/POS protocol. I have used the printers in a fortune teller machine I built with a LaunchPad. I wrote an I2C library and a Shift Register Library for Arduino, but I can only get the shift register version to work with Energia and LaunchPad. I have tested the Shift Register version of the library with LaunchPad and the 2553 chip. 

The library is at my Github:

https://github.com/mixographer/430-Thermal-Printer-I2C

You will want to use the _SR version, "Thermal_Printer_SR.h" and "Thermal_Printer_SR.cpp." 

The library supports printing with bold, underline, upside-down, inverse, etc. and there are example sketches 

that show how to print. There is also a schematic that shows how to hook up a 595 shift-register to the parallel printer. 

Should be useful if you find a parallel version of the common receipt printer. Around here the serial versions are scarce and more expensive, so the parallel printers were what I could find easily. 

@@mixographer Awesome. Thanks!

Do have any pictures of your setup or videos to share?

Here is what the printouts look like with various print modes active:

post-28205-0-51236000-1396586852_thumb.jpg

Here is what my little breakout boards look like. (This one is the I2C PFC8574 version):

post-28205-0-13899700-1396586866_thumb.jpg

And here is my shift register board and value line launchpad. The ribbon cable leads to the printer's parallel port:

post-28205-0-49052400-1396586881_thumb.jpg

EDIT: I removed this text, as I figured out how to upload. 

---

I cannot figure out how to upload pictures here. I see posts that say don't link it in, but I can't figure out how the media thing works.

Edit: Maybe it's the attach thingy I just noticed below. 

---