Sign in to follow this  
abc

CCS questions

I think I'll post my CCS questions here under one thread, to avoid flooding the list.

(I am using CCSv6)

Q1.  given a char* p, is there a way to evaluate it as a string? I.e. to see all its characters? The best I've come up with is 1) to use memory, and 2) to see it as an array; both have deficiencies in that they allow to see either only char or only in at a time.

Q2. How do I disable optimization?

Thank you

I think I'll post my CCS questions here under one thread, to avoid flooding the list.

(I am using CCSv6)

Q1.  given a char* p, is there a way to evaluate it as a string? I.e. to see all its characters? The best I've come up with is 1) to use memory, and 2) to see it as an array; both have deficiencies in that they allow to see either only char or only in at a time.

Yes, I use memory and change the type to char.

Q2. How do I disable optimization?

Thank you

It is in properties. See pic

codecomposerstudio_optimization.JPG

@@bluehash, thank you! How could I miss that? Thought I looked everywhere.

That I think fully answers my Q2.  Below is my tentative answer to Q1 (displaying strings):

The lack of an easy way to evaluate a null-terminated string seemed a bit odd to me, but I've just found that, in the Expressions view, if you right-click on a char* 's "value" column and go Number Format -> String , it will display the first 10 characters of the string - good for starters. If you then right-click on the triangle to the left of the variable's name, it shows an array of chars of up to 1K chars. Next, I can right-click on the Value column of each individual char (taking care not to left-click first), and go Number Format -> Decimal as needed, on per-char basis. This way, I get a complete string, and I have the freedom to see some characters in ascii, some in decimal (octal, binary, hex) - useful, for instance, when I need to see an ascii string with \n \r \0 etc. A bit of a headache, but works for me. Maybe I'll find a better way as I learn more (a custom converter perhaps?)

@@bluehash, I disabled optimisation as you said, but it does not seem to disable it completely. For instance, it still would not allow me to set a breakpoint at 

int i = 0; i++;

However, a breakpoint at 

volatile int i = 0; i++;

works fine. Wonder why?a

(i is unused in both cases)