43oh

Can't flash the MSP430 with Launchpad - stuck at step 0 :(

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

I have a very similar odd problem.

I am trying to program my MSP-EXP430G2 with the MSP430G2231 chip in the socket.

Initially I installed the IAR IDE, but could find no option to actually program the chip from within the interface.

So I decided to go with Code Composer Studio, as there seemed to be more helpful documentation etc.

I installed version 4.2.3 the free code length limted one, and then followed the intro here -

http://www.msp430launchpad.com/2010/07/ ... arted.html

But as soon as I get to the programming step (clicking debug) it has the following error:

"Exception occurred during launch

Reason: Failed to load program 'MSP-EXP430G2-Launchpad.out' on any of the targets.

Reason: The target 'TI MSP430 USB1/MSP430' could not be found."

It's worth noting that this error is different to the error I get if I try to run the debug with no Board attached:

"Error initializing emulator:

No USB FET was found"

And that the code on the board does not appear to be at all affected by the attempt - the temperature code is still running as before.

I have checked the Device Manager under 'My Computer' and the port is listed, updating the driver simply returned saying it was the latest version.

I can run the PC GUI for the temperature code that is installed on the board by default and I get successful communication between the board and the GUI (e.g. it shows the temperature and updates etc)

I can also get a connection in Hyperterminal but I'm not sure what format the data is in - from one board I only see ???????... etc, from another board I was seeing letters, that seemed to shift roughly in line with the temperature changes shown on the LEDs. I played around with the settings to see if I could improve this, these are also the values set under port settings in the device driver. (2400,8,None,1, None)

The last thing I tried (other than change USB cable and change board) was to run the firmware update here:

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php ... are_Update

On one of the boards - it was successful, and yet I still cant program the board in either IDE.

So some questions:

Any Ideas ?

What am I supposed to see in IAR (Itried taking it out of Simulation mode, but the debug it offered still didn't let me 'program' anything) ?

This seems to be a problem a few ppl are having has anyone seen a solution ?

Other IDE's to test in without learning a whole new setup ?

Is it possible I have a conflict with one of the other USB to UART convertersI use with other hardware ? I did notice a yellow excamation mark symbol on my "Texas Instruments Emulators - Texas Instruments XDS560 PCI Jtag Emulator".

My next plan is to go and install this on my friends machine to test if it's the boards, or if only installing CCS will fix the issue (if it was due to an early driver in IAR etc)

Any help would be really awesome - thanks!

Hi all,

For anyone who was having similar issues to me, here is the solution I found.

It seems that no specific Chip was selected as a target, so...

In the Target Menu -> debug

in the Debugger Tab -> CPU resolution Options was on "Connect To Exact CPU" but none was selected

also in the Target Tab -> Message saying no CPU was selected

so

in the Debugger Tab -> CPU resolution Options -> chose: Prompt to select CPU

Apply, Close

So I now have a very basic but very welcome flashing LED.

And on to far more fun stuff.

Hope that's useful to someone.

• 5 months later...