43oh

Programmer compatibility between Energia and CCSv6

Hi,

As I am migrating from Energia IDE to Energia under CCSv6, back an forth. Every time I switch, CCS wants to update the Programmer firmware:

"Error initializing emulator:
A firmware update is required for the MSP430 Debug Interface (MSP-FET430UIF / MSP-FET / eZ-FET). Click the "Update" button to update the firmware and launch your debug session (this may require several update steps)."

Energia IDE does a similar thing.

This tends to be a slow process. Is there any chance Energia IDE could reuse the Programmer from CCS?

This is DLL h*ll ;-) The programmer on the F5529 is very flexible and can be easily upgraded. This "easy to upgrade" often results in "w'll fix it later because we can" and hence every update that CCS pulls could have a different DLL for the ez-FET. I am doing my best to at least include the DLL that is going to initially ship with CCS.

With that said, you can easily work around this by taking the MSP430.DLL from CCS and replacing the on in energia/hardware/tools/msp430/bin. Once you have the same DLL's you will be able to move back and forth without having to reprogram the FET.

adding to what @@energia said, in CCS it's in the ccs_base\DebugServer\drivers directory...

e.g. go to C:\ti\ccsv6\ccs_base\DebugServer\drivers, copy MSP430.DLL, go to C:\energia-0101E0012\hardware\tools\msp430\bin (this may vary depending on where you installed Energia) and paste.  Rename the MSP430.DLL already in Energia's bin directory first so you have a backup copy.

What about Linux ?

It seems like the libmsp430.so file on Energia is 64-bit, while on the CCS6beta4 that I have, it's 32-bit.

ccs6/ccsv6/ccs_base/DebugServer/drivers/libmsp430.so

libmsp430.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, not stripped

energia-0101E0012/hardware/tools/msp430/bin/libmsp430.so

libmsp430.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=0x491eb4dd8b6126e9981db52d231815149f12a7d3, not stripped

Where can I get the 64bit libmsp430.so from for CCSv6 ?

Regards

Alf

@@hogemark unfortunately there is no 64-bit libmsp430.so available from TI hence the 64-bit version was build by the Energia team. I am hoping for an introduction of a 64-bit Linux version by TI in the near future so that we do not have to build these DLL's our selfs.

Util they do there is no work around for the mismatch in version between Energia and CCS.