43oh

Preorder EK-TM4C1294XL Tiva C Series TM4C1294 Connected LaunchPad

Just noticed this, a series on "IoT solutions with the Tiva-C Connected LaunchPad" - http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/video/Portal.tsp?lang=en&entryid=0_1qe8j32e&DCMP=engineerit&HQS=engineerit-aware-em-t8aok01&sp_rid_pod4=OTI4MTY2MTI2NwS2&sp_mid_pod4=45271486

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

I'm just ranting and raving here, but 7 years ago there were boards like this (of course, not anywhere close to US$20) running ARM7 and ARM9.  Atmel had a bunch of nice SAM7 and SAM9 parts.  Anyway, the rant is not about the board.  It looks pretty great.  The rant is that the "IoT" marketing is crazy to me.  :)  It's a new word for something that isn't new in this case.  For me, an IoT board needs to be wireless.  The specific type of wireless is less important, but it must be there in some way!  If only they had plopped-on a CC1200! (CC3000 might be too $$$)

I think the role of this board in IoT is as the border router: you could put two ISM-band radios on the booster-pack headers, and translate from the OTA format to IP/eth to talk to the real-world through a wired connection.

I'm planning to use a BeagleboneBlack for that purpose in my experiments with 802.15.4.  I tried a RedWire IoT kit with a router+sensors last summer, and gave up for two reasons: Contiki being unreliable on not-particularly-open Freescale hardware, and a seriously underpowered ARM chip in the router that couldn't provide information on what was happening in the radio or on the wireless network.

I just exchanged email with ThingSquare (commercialized Contiki) to see if their CC2538-based kit would be better, but gave up when they told me the only available source to the sensors was from last August: the source to what's in the kit they ship is apparently proprietary for now, and has an unspecific number of fixes that haven't been released.  More and more I think I'm probably going to fork Contiki; it's just wrong in so many ways.

(Yes, I'm aware of DASH7.  I've not found it compelling enough to spend the time/money to get up to speed on it.)

I think the role of this board in IoT is as the border router: you could put two ISM-band radios on the booster-pack headers, and translate from the OTA format to IP/eth to talk to the real-world through a wired connection.

That's the thing.  I'm more compelled to use something like Linino for any sort of multi-purpose, Ethernet-connected device.  If the goal is to use RJ-45 interconnect, then power-budget is not a practical issue the way it might be with wireless or USB interconnect, and Linino gets me a platform that is much easier for IT-types to use and deploy.  Now, if I want to build a USB-stick that uses Ethernet-over-USB, then this platform is more sensible.

I looked at that, it's not exactly a hobbiest scale device (LOL) it's the full 80 connection launchpad layout.

That aside it is an interesting part it appears to be for competing against the SAM4E.  Don't quote me on that.

I know they are working on an ARM based part with a 24 A2D and 8 channel mux. That is a tricky beast too tame.

Cyb

• 2 weeks later...