Sign in to follow this  
kmmankad

Debugging Options with the Launchpad

Hey,

I'd like to know about the various debugging options available with the MSP430 Launchpad.We can always connect an LCD,or use UART.But both these options take up precious code space.Is there some other way to watch values of variables in code?

Yes, it's called an oscilloscope and a toggling bit. It's very cheap on code space.

When you enter into a part of the code that you want to debug, make a pin toggle up and down once. Make that bit toggle at the end of the code that you are examining. Watch the oscilloscope to see the bit toggling events.

Another option, if you are using CCS (I don't use mspgcc so I can't comment on it), is this: you can use the built in debugger and use breakpoints or single step your way through the code and watch what happens by examining the value of variables or memory.

I use both techniques. The bit flipping method when I'm debugging something in real time and it depends on an external sensor. I use the debugger method when I am debugging a computational algorithm.

Make sense?