43oh

I created a quick project to start learning nodejs. To those that are unfamiliar nodejs allows you to write javascript for the server side. So I decided to write a small gui that plots serial data. The GUI itself is written in javscript/html and uses node-webkit to package it into a .exe file (or the correct package for your os).

This could easily be extended to visualize a lot more I/O from the launchpad, and given that the GUI is written in html/javascript it is really easy to create new elements.

post-3-0-10932700-1393852095_thumb.png

Here is the source:

https://github.com/zlalanne/node-serial-gui

The repository includes the nodejs code as well as a simple Energia sketch to send a random value over serial.

I created a quick project to start learning nodejs. To those that are unfamiliar nodejs allows you to write javascript for the server side. So I decided to write a small gui that plots serial data. The GUI itself is written in javscript/html and uses node-webkit to package it into a .exe file (or the correct package for your os).

This could easily be extended to visualize a lot more I/O from the launchpad, and given that the GUI is written in html/javascript it is really easy to create new elements.

attachicon.gifnodejs_msp430_serial_gui.png

Here is the source:

https://github.com/zlalanne/node-serial-gui

The repository includes the nodejs code as well as a simple Energia sketch to send a random value over serial.

Very neat application. Always wanted to do some server side plotting. Will have to take a look into this.

I added a \r\n to the output and used the parser feature of serialport to strip it off.  Initially there seemed to be a buffering problem and I was only getting half reads of the data values.

@@ -113,11 +113,13 @@
             $("#formData").html(html);
         });

-        var SerialPort = require("serialport").SerialPort;
+       var com = require('serialport');
+
         $("#serialForm").submit(function(event) {
           portNum = $("#formData").val();
-          var port = new SerialPort(portNum, {
-            baudrate: 9600
+          var port = new com.SerialPort(portNum, {
+            baudrate: 9600,
+           parser: com.parsers.readline('\r\n')
           });
           port.on("open", function() {
             console.log('open');