chicken

Mailbag

My apartment complex sent me a message that I had a new package delivery!

Thanks USPS!!

attachicon.gifIMG_20141010_133043470.jpg

Luckily everything inside was intact.  30 RocketBadges from @@cubeberg!

attachicon.gifIMG_20141010_133119052.jpg

I'll be using these to teach some high school kids where I volunteer as a robotics mentor how to solder.  Hopefully I'll be back later with photos from the lessons.

Could you send us a pic of them soldering it( with permission, of course )

Could you send us a pic of them soldering it( with permission, of course )

That shouldn't be a problem.  Our next meeting is Tuesday, so I'll make sure to bring my good camera and get some shots of the team.

The 0.9mm drill bits finally arrived today for my TagConnect 10-pin adapter. It was a quite hard to solder the bits as there wasn't sufficient exposed copper on the board but hot glue fixes anything.

post-32777-0-81316900-1413449054_thumb.jpgpost-32777-0-69599500-1413449106_thumb.jpg

I just got some $20 target boards from an eBay seller that I mentioned here - a TS430PW28A, RGC64USB and RGC64A. The QFN ZIF sockets are a work of engineering art. :wub:

He also threw in a v1.6 Wolverine Launchpad. I guess I'll get some more QFN soldering practice replacing the XMS430FR5969 with production silicon.

Finally received the purple PCBs with the new dAISy layout matching the enclosures I recently posted about.

post-9974-0-23916100-1414199800_thumb.jpg

A perfect fit with less than a millimeter to spare on top of the BNC. The exposed ground plane on the edges looks nice but unfortunately is for naught: turns out the black coating of the aluminum enclosure is non-conductive :sad:.

I will probably build up only one unit, to check whether I screwed something up. Then add all the new ideas I had in the two weeks I've been waiting for the PCBs and respin it.

Also trying to figure out a sensible way to cut the holes into the front plate.

@chicken-

If you don't mind a round hole, a step drill bit, a.k.a. "uni-bit" could drill the hole. To maintain the square-ish shape of the hole, find a bit that matches the radius of the corners, drill the four corners, then use a coping saw or similar to cut the straight edges.

Scroller? That'll be a bit noisy won't it? Looks like a nice display though.

Yes - it will definitely be a little noisy :)  I'm going to see how noisy it is and go from there.  The split flap doesn't have as much moving around, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad.  Plus I need to build a case which might help.

splurged a bit this month - picked up a surplus flip dot display (split flap actually) after all the Hackaday projects using them lately.

Hoping to make a twitter scroller for work. Have a pile of transistors ready to test out.

Where did you get that from?