43oh

CC3000 on MSP430F5529 with Energia

Hello

I found the following YouTube video demonstrating a web server using the MSP430 CPU and the CC3000 Wi-Fi module, together with the Energia toolchain. 

The video is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yBP8HwUyeo

The evaluation modules recommended in the video are the

MSP-EXP430F5529LP launchpad evaluation board http://www.ti.com/tool/MSP-EXP430F5529LP

With the CC3000BOOST booster module http://www.ti.com/tool/cc3000boost

I got the parts and connected them. Got the energia toolchain and compiled and downloaded the simpleWebServer example.

through the serial monitor provided by energia I got the following:

Connecting to WiFi....
Connect success!
Waiting for DHCP address

IP Address Information:
IP Address: 192.168.0.198
MAC address: 70:FF:76:01:75:CD
Version: 1.10
NetMask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
SSID: 2WIRE384
ret: 171
Google IP: 0.0.0.0
new client
GET / 

When trying to access the web server through the browser by using 192.168.0.198 I got the 'new client' string and the GET cmd...
but the page described in the video never popped up...

Is the example included in energia-0101E0011 unfinished... if so is there a new version? Any hint as to what I may be missing is greatly appreciated!

thanks,

regards

Hi Nick, now that my simple server is working for WPA... my next step is to make it work for WEP...

I changed:

WiFi.begin(ssid, pass);                 // for WPA APs

by

uint8_t key_idx = 0;

WiFi.begin(ssid, key_idx, pass);   // for WEP APs 

this experiment did not work... so I started following the code and I ran into a little confusion since the function:

wlan_connect(WLAN_SEC_WEP, ssid, strlen(ssid), NULL, key, key_idx);

called by WiFi.begin appears to interpret the parameter key_idx as the length of the password? not as the key index...

so I changed key_idx to be the length of pass... and this experiment did not work either...

Ideas and suggestions welcomed....

thanks

regards,

Diego

Sorry Diego, i've never bothered connecting to a WEP AP since my network is WPA.

And by the way, WEP is considered unsafe and easy to hack, with a modern laptop in a matter of minutes according to security websites.

But nice to read that you've got it working in WPA mode. :)

regards, Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for your reply. The WEP mode is required as part of the board evaluation process ... I understand its weaknesses :-) ... can you redirect me to someone that could help with the WEP mode for this sketch?

thanks

regards,

Diego

If i remember right WEP consisted of either of 4x 40Bit keys or one 128bit key, so i suspect that key_idx specifies which of the 40bit keys is meant, i also remember that WEP keys were hexadecimal.

I tried for an hour to connect to an old router with WEP but didnt succeed either, perhaps you can find some tips on Ti cc3000 wiki.

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/CC3000

regards, Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I was able to connect the two things combo to my wifi (after some software upgrade on Energia with MSP430 "drivers"), with and without WPA or WEP protection (just comment/uncomment the relevant lines), but after the successfull connection I can't access the web server page using the assigned IP, after some time the browser gave up.

Any tips ?

Try pinging the webserver. Even if the program has crashed the cc3000 replies to ping packets, looks like pings are handled by the cc3000 itself.

Open a command shell (on windows click on start button and enter "cmd" without quotes in the search line)

in the commandshell type:

ping <the ip of the webserver>

When you get a respond this means the cc3000 connected correctly but the program has probably crashed or isnt handling requests correctly.

Can you post the serial output? please edit out your wifi-password if that is showing up in the serial console before posting.

regards, Nick