Sign in to follow this  
bench2012

STMicro Unveils $10 mbed-enabled and Arduino Compatible Nucleo Development Boards

Hi,

Just in case everyone miss this. STM has has just came out with a low-price Arduino compatible eval. board.

http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM116/SC959/SS1532/LN1847

It would be cool if Energia can support it.

Bench

Energia is the Arduino-like IDE for Texas Instruments LaunchPads and BoosterPacks, so I really doubt it is going to support a board from a competitor.

Moreover, STM doesn't provide the port of the Arduino/Wiring framework to its MCUs. Instead, those boards use the online mbed compiler and C/C++ SDK.

A first glance and they look much like the current STM32Fx discovery boards with added Arduino-style wonky headers, breakaway debugger and a rather questionable choice of white soldermask with blue silkscreen.

They look like pepper-mint candy! But i guess mbed is a very big community in itself and supposedly supported by ARM.

So, i guess energia should be for TI boards itself.

They are cheap though.. the M4 one has specs better than TIVA but it seems to be a re-routed Discovery.. one switch and one user Led. An RGB is a lot fun initially!

The USB on it can also do pretty much the same what the TIVA can do. But compared to TIVA its cheaper 10.4USD vs 13USD.

Plus gives arduino users headstart!

I'm more excited about the new Tiva-C LaunchPad.  Native ethernet & 1MB flash baby!

I just checked TI's site and I managed to pre-order one. I hope that means they're almost here.

Well, I just searched for ek-tm4c129xl earlier and was able to preorder one but I now can't find it on the store. Maybe it wasn't supposed to show up.

I still have the order "processing" but maybe it'll be cancelled or just stay that way until they're relisted.

From what I can tell, the only real difference between the Nucleo boards and ST's existing DISCO boards is the lack of any external hardware (accelerometer, LCD, audio amp, etc) and the Arduino shield header pin layout.  The $10 price is great, but it is in line with the rest of the DISCO boards.

It should be a piece-of-cake to port Maple (leaflabs.com) to the F103RB version.  Maple is an Arduino/Wiring environment that has been around longer than Energia has.  

If you are a hobbyist, maybe the Tiva-C kit has more features.  But as far as being a dev kit or evaluation kit for a product you want to build on ARM CM, the STM32's are priced really well.  Tiva is much more expensive.  Regarding ethernet, I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been more action towards Ethernet-over-USB on these USB-enabled ARM CM's.  Really, what you want to do is telnet into it.  Whether it is over USB or RJ-45 is less of an issue these days, I would say.

Plus gives arduino users headstart!

IMHO, I disagree. The Arduino headers are just horrible with their non-standard non-0.1" spacing between pins 7 and 8. Arduino hasn't had the courage to ditch them.

I just checked TI's site and I managed to pre-order one. I hope that means they're almost here.

Same happened to me. I guess it was just a test before the grand opening and the official launch.

It should be a piece-of-cake to port Maple (leaflabs.com) to the F103RB version.  Maple is an Arduino/Wiring environment that has been around longer than Energia has.  

The Maple framework lacks two critical libraries: stream and strings... and hasn't been updated since Sep 13, 2011 with Maple IDE 0.0.12.

Just like the PIC32-based chipKIT boards, those two platforms were very promising when they were released but failed to keep their momentum.

TI offers a much better support and roadmap for the LaunchPads.

The Maple framework lacks two critical libraries: stream and strings... and hasn't been updated since Sep 13, 2011 with Maple IDE 0.0.12.  Just like the PIC32-based chipKIT boards, those two platforms were very promising when they were released but failed to keep their momentum.  TI offers a much better support and roadmap for the LaunchPads.

TI does offer great support, but support only goes so far.  If you want to build a device that uses ARM CM, and you want to build it for low cost, TI probably isn't the answer.  Re the MSP430, I'm surprised TI hasn't announced a roadmap with MSP migrating to ARM CM.  It will either happen, or MSP will just fade away.  TI is already releasing CC SoCs with CM0+, so it is clear which direction things are heading.

TI does offer great support, but support only goes so far.  If you want to build a device that uses ARM CM, and you want to build it for low cost, TI probably isn't the answer.  Re the MSP430, I'm surprised TI hasn't announced a roadmap with MSP migrating to ARM CM.  It will either happen, or MSP will just fade away.  TI is already releasing CC SoCs with CM0+, so it is clear which direction things are heading.

Which TI CC part has CM0+?  Might have missed it, I just know about the CC2538 which is CM3.