t0mpr1c3

[Group Buy-18][D] WS2812 SMD RGB LEDs with integrated driver chip

OK Vic. A USPS money order is absolutely fine and no hassle. USPS only please - I am near a post office but miles from a bank. I will PM the postal address when the time comes. If anybody else wants to send a USPS money order that is also not a problem.

One slot of 125 is left. I'll leave it open for a day or two and if there are no takers I will take another 50 extras myself and we are up to 1000.

I doubt it will come to that. I am impressed with the take up for this project. Thanks for doing the (re)design greeeg. You have a hit on your hands here!

Okay. I have finished the design files using the new footprint. they are up on the project page. http://forum.43oh.com/topic/4920-120-led-ring-clock/?p=43802

There is 2 versions. an identical sized one to the original but with the WS2812B footprint. then a double version to fit on a 5x10cm board. I did check it does fit within a 5x10cm rectangle.

Currently these PCBs do not include any mechanasim for driving the LEDs. The entire back of the boards are clear except for a VCC plane. I could create a driver circut based on an MSP430 (of course). if a timely consensus can be made on the MSP used and the included footprints (buttons, IR sensor?, ambient light?) I could whip this up quickly.

I am in for 2 sets of 125 LED's 2 sets of PCB's.  I am only interested in the LED's if we are able to get the PCB's along with them.

No spare LED's.  I have a way to drive them so as long as the PCB's provide the basic DO --> DIN chaining, I am good to go!

WS2812 or WS2812B's are fine as long as the PCB's will accept either.

PS Thanks for your efforts.

Thanks marsbase. I'll put you down for PCBs too.

We are now at 1200 LEDs including extras. I am looking at 12 lots of 100 WS2812Bs from this seller on Aliexpress ($183.43 shipped DHL) or possibly 2 lots of 600 from this seller on eBay ($190 shipped surface). The first option would work out to $19 per set of 125 LEDs before shipping from me to you and Paypal commission.

PCBs will probably take longer than usual because Chinese New Year is coming up. I am planning to use Elecrow (green, 100% E-test, HASL finish). Shipping the PCBs by DHL would be my favoured option. It would cost a dollar or two more per set than HK post, depending on how many we order. 

Anybody else? I'm just waiting on Greg to tell me whether he wants PCBs.

If you are is not in the USA please PM me your postal address so I can estimate shipping costs. I will send everything out USPS first class / first class international which is generally cheapest and reasonably fast. Because I don't know exactly how much the stuff will weigh I will use the sellers listed product weight and add on 50g/2oz for packaging. That is likely to be on the high side so I will refund any excess via Paypal. 

Within the USA I expect sending LEDs (50g/2oz plus packaging) to cost about $2 and to send LEDs + 1 set of boards (160g/6oz plus packaging) no more than $3. As a rule of thumb for international rates you can multiply that by 4. I'm sorry it's so expensive to send international, if there was a cheaper option I would use it. International delivery time is quoted as 6-10 business days.

Here's the USPS shipping calculator to check the likely costs: My zip code is 19072, select "package", weight, and "First class international options" to get an estimate.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/

Thanks to the whole group for making this a success.

Although we have not decided if we would include a mechanism for driving the LEDs. The entire back of the PCBs are clear and I personally would vote to create a driver circut based on an MSP430 like @@greeeg said before.

@@t0mpr1c3 What do you think about this?

Yes, there's plenty of space on the back. I will go with whatever Gerbers Greg gives me. Can you suggest a schematic?

I have no experience with these pixels. The only objection I can think of is that WS2812Bs run at 5V and MSP430s run at 3.3V.

@t0mpr1c3 @RobG @@greeeg I'd suggest any design changes to be posted in greeeg's thread or a separate clock redesign thread. Posting it here will break the design trail.

Keep this post for GB only. This will make it easier for all.

Thanks all!

If anyone wants to join the wait list please sign up on this thread. 

I will throw the wait list open next week if any of the people currently signed up change their mind.

First come first served. Paypal only please.