43oh

120 LED Ring Clock

Well, the vias he does have there would easily accept 30 gauge wirewrap wire but that would be like sewing boards together. Kinda labor intensive.

Connectors are the best option. I'll see if I can find some options for you.

So, if you do intend on selling a bunch of these then I would recommend refining the design for mass production. I am available to help you with that when the time is right for you.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, It's been along time since I've posted. but I've been keeping busy with uni and working on some cool projects for the last year.   This is something I'd like to share with you guys, it's not fi

I've been working on the code for the control board. Here is a quick demo.       I've ordered a few more parts (accelerometer, regulator, levelshifter) which my board is running without curr

Here is an updated PCB. 100% compatible with the old one. However this one features the new WS2812B footprint.   Here is the Altium project files. Includes gerbers and schematics. ledRing_2.zip

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Greeeg. 
First of all, sorry for the poor English. My name is Gabor. I am writing from Hungary. I really like this project. I want to build this. The third version, I would like to build. When the source will be public? I downloaded the last CPB plan to do it for a PCB manufacturer. Unfortunately I do not have Altium program. I opened the files Sprint Layout 6.0. Do you know? I used to import gerber files, but not great. Can you help him? 
Thank you very much, 
Gabor

@@kocsgab002 Thank you for your intrest. I'm glad you like the project.

I am waiting for a revised board, with a few small errors fixed (footprints mainly). I am currently working writting the new code to run the ledRing. Once I have finshed it to a respectable standard it will be released under an open source licence, (Probably BSD or CC).

I have never heard of sprint layout 6. However any decent PCB manufacturer should accept those gerber files to produce the PCBs for you. Using a gerber viewer such as gerbv, you can preview the gerber files.

I received a new lot of WS2812's. Curiously they are different from my last set.

For anyone who's curious.

Sorry the lighting is slightly different in each photo, I'm only using a digital camera, not a microscope.

post-274-0-52603400-1405401893_thumb.jpg

Not a big deal, since it looks like the die's are identical. Must have just being assembled by a different factory in china.

I've been working on the code over the past week, mostly backend function to manipulate colour.

I've been working on a fading technique that generates a Gaussian curve with a higher density of datapoints than the LEDs, then sweeping it across a smaller number of LEDs. This requires a higher refresh rate but makes the fading more real.

post-274-0-40229900-1405758340_thumb.jpg

Large ring is 40 points of a Gaussian curve. Small section is 40 points spread over 5 LEDs,

This produces a much nicer fading effect to a static group of LEDs that discretely shift by 1 LED each step. I'll do a comparision video.

I'm working mainly in HSL colour space and converting to RGB. This makes fading easy, just adjust L.

I'm also passing the linear RGB values through a correction table. I made my own, but then ended up using this one for now. (http://rgb-123.com/ws2812-color-output/)

The entire project is being built with the new RedHat msp430-elf GCC, and CCS.

I'm doing all my math functions now with TI's Qmathlib. Great performance and 1/4 of the code space of C's floating point libraries.

Very interesting project. Well designed and executed. I like the modular design. It must have taken a lot of time.

Is there a deeper reason behind the 12 pixel module size, or is it as i suspect due to dimension restraints at the pcb supplier

I have been fiddling with a similar concept on and off for a year or so.  However I haven

• 1 month later...

Newest boards arrived the other week, Just finished settling into a new home. Finally getting back into things.

@@zeke I took your consideration into the new connection pads.

post-274-0-70656400-1408936867_thumb.jpg

The hole is designed to use a small piece of bent wire to connect the two boards together. The smaller vias still add the needed structural support to the pad.

• 2 months later...
Hello Greeeg

I built the second version. Almost everything is ready, the PCB is ready, the parts have to. The soldering is complete. Look here: https://picasaweb.google.com/107469147043820444003/LEDringClock?noredirect=1

The programming follows. I downloaded the source code. 

Question 1: Since you compiled the source? As the program entered?

Thank you very much :)

Gabor Kocsis from Hungary

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Greeeg

I built the second version. Almost everything is ready, the PCB is ready, the parts have to. The soldering is complete. Look here: https://picasaweb.google.com/107469147043820444003/LEDringClock?noredirect=1
The programming follows. I downloaded the source code. 

Question 1: Since you compiled the source? As the program entered?

Thank you very much :)

Gabor Kocsis from Hungary

That's great. Glad the soldering turned out well, Is that a homemade metal stencil?

I am currently working on some new code for the new version. I will make no promises as to when it will be ready.

• 3 months later...

Hello deaar Greeg ,i`m very like this project,it`s AWESOME!!  I want to make one,so i downloaded the code ledRing_Code.zip  and Ver.3 PCB files but can`t find the G2553 Controller board AD files,i`d like to using G2553 to do this project,could you send me the g2553 PCB files please? Does the source code(a.out )  only fit for Ver.3 (G2955)?     Leo from China :)

• 1 year later...