Sign in to follow this  
abecedarian

Noritake VFD SCK-3900-512X32H-01

Sweet! Just received mine today out of the blue, and later an email from Noritake with a link to the datasheet. No time right now to play but that is indeed an impressively big display! Can't wait to fire it up. If we do have to produce 24V then I'd like to consider a boost circuit based around a 12VDC input for versatility sake... could be a boosterpack too. I have a 12V@6A bench supply and small 1.5A 5V switching buck converters that work in an LM7805 pinout off 7-36V in.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

Weird, HW guide mentions the GU512X32H-3xx0 and 3xx1 models, but mine is a GU512X32H-3703 model.  Guess I'll have to dig deeper into that later.

From that manual though, it looks like it has a whole complement of RS232 serial (think it's TTL level) and Parallel (like HD44780 style pins).  CN6 is the power header with VCC1=5V and VCC2=24V.

Ah sweet, just confirmed that too.  RS232 are indeed RS232 levels, so no go there, gotta use the parallel interface.  Would be a good idea to have 5V level shifters in there when eventually designing a boosterpack of sorts.

Lol man these things are expensive M-F'ers!!

"Sample price" is $118 for this, but Mouser sells it for $365.06...

Another one, the GU128x128D, looks pretty snazzy with just DC5V input but Digikey sells it for... $164.58 (Noritake's own "Sample Price" is $112.40)

Alas, lots of tech inside them I guess and they do look pretty nice.  Can't wait to light up this 512x32.  This one has to have a legitimate project behind it... probably with a custom wood frame plus Tiva LP+CC3000 or something to do it justice.

Checked out TI's WEBENCH application for kicks... it pointed me to the TPS55340, which then also suggested TPS61175 for narrower Vin (don't need 40Vin).

Datasheet: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps61175.pdf

Might make a good boost converter for supplying our 24V.  Works with 2.9Vin at the minimum though, so with a beefy 5V rail I bet it could enable 5V operation for the whole circuit.  Not likely to get that kind of power from the LaunchPad though so having a 12Vin target voltage is a good choice IMO for versatility of power sources.

@@spirilis

I was hoping that with 18v and 5A supply, I could source both 24v and 5v each @ 1A.

I think that would cover the display's requirements, at least, without issue, and a bit left over for an LP or two.

@@spirilis

I was hoping that with 18v and 5A supply, I could source both 24v and 5v each @ 1A.

I think that would cover the display's requirements, at least, without issue, and a bit left over for an LP or two.

Yeah if you boost 18V to 24V and buck 5V... that supply could probably feed a few dozen launchpads on the side :D

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

So what are some ideas for what to make with this?

I've thought:

Instrumentation / dashboard for a vehicle.

Side scrolling type game- Defender, Pitfall or something similar.

Tetris-like game.

Clock / calendar display.