43oh

Eagle custom PCB shape help

I've had good luck with this: http://dangerousprototypes.com/2013/02/08/importing-svg-images-as-polygons-into-eagle/.  Just import it into the dimension layer and you're  good to go.  

I would recommend putting it into a library as a custom part though.  If you dump it right onto the .brd - it's tough to get it out.  

I do remember that there was some sort of prep in inkscape to get shapes with an interior cut-out working (such as the letter A)  - can't seem to find instructions on that though.

I've had good luck with this: http://dangerousprototypes.com/2013/02/08/importing-svg-images-as-polygons-into-eagle/.  Just import it into the dimension layer and you're  good to go.  

I would recommend putting it into a library as a custom part though.  If you dump it right onto the .brd - it's tough to get it out.  

I do remember that there was some sort of prep in inkscape to get shapes with an interior cut-out working (such as the letter A)  - can't seem to find instructions on that though.

Thanks.. This did not come up in my search.

To get the cut out, you need to change direction of the inner path.

What do you mean, @@RobG

I personally use the standard bitmap import function, then redo the lines by hand using the other as a guide (in one of the transparent green layers)  so i get my lines like I want, but have the stencil to follow.  that's how I build the 2d barcodes, and my logo also.  takes a bit of work, but the results are polished rather than "just good enough" from some automatic one

@chibiace - I've had a couple of odd board shapes created - no complaints yet (the small board that goes with my VFD clock for instance).  I was talking with Elecrow at one point about inner cut-outs - you have to consider tool size. I sent one over that was a flower shape and they said it wouldn't be an issue.  On another - they pointed out an area where the tool would cut more than desired.  Most of the companies are more than glad to take a look at your gerbers to make sure there wouldn't be a problem.

I would guess that they CNC mill the boards so there would definitely be a minimum width and bend radius on inner cutouts.

I also mill the boards I make at home, but I use a different tool for creating the outline. To be honest the most complicated shape I've done was an L shape with rounded corners.