43oh

External power supply on MSP430F5529-LP boosterpack connector?

Hi,

Is that possible to externally supply the MSP430F5529 throught boosterpack connect that expose +3V3 and/or +5V instead of attaching the power to the EZFET connector? Looking at the schematics there seem to be no diodes preventing the reverse current from the boosterpack but I

Sure, just pull the 5v and 3.3v jumpers on the ezfet connector first. If you don't want to power ANY of the fet or hub side, just pull all the jumpers. And yes, you can only provide 3.3v (or any DVCC voltage in the f5529's range), given that you know that the 5v side will not be used/needed.

Power can be injected at any 3.3v or 5v point on the board, including the jumper block, the 40 pin headers, or the two power headers at the bottom.

Sure, just pull the 5v and 3.3v jumpers on the ezfet connector first. If you don't want to power ANY of the fet or hub side, just pull all the jumpers. And yes, you can only provide 3.3v (or any DVCC voltage in the f5529's range), given that you know that the 5v side will not be used/needed.

Power can be injected at any 3.3v or 5v point on the board, including the jumper block, the 40 pin headers, or the two power headers at the bottom.

Thanks! In fact the 5V is as far as I know used exclusively for USB module which I don't need in my application.

• 9 months later...

Hi @@tml and @@cde,

Did anyone try this and get it working?  I have one of the early msp430f5529 boards (rev 1.4) and tried to power the board from an external source (5V) and it's not working.

I pulled the jumpers from the FET, 5V & 3.3V first then tried powering using the pins at the bottom headers of the board and on the 40-pin headers and nothing.

Just wanting to know if someone got this working.

Hi @@tml and @@cde,

Did anyone try this and get it working?  I have one of the early msp430f5529 boards (rev 1.4) and tried to power the board from an external source (5V) and it's not working.

I pulled the jumpers from the FET, 5V & 3.3V first then tried powering using the pins at the bottom headers of the board and on the 40-pin headers and nothing.

Just wanting to know if someone got this working.

3.3v supply? I believe the 3.3v supply on the launchpad comes from the FET side, there isnt a regulator on the launchpad itself.

I have the same version of LP board as you (V1.4).

You have to pull the SBWRST and SBWTST jumpers as well or else it will not work because the MSP will be held in reset by the unpowered eZ-FET lite circuitry.

Just pull out all of those jumpers then apply 3V to the board at either at J10:3(3V3) or at J1:1(3V3).

Here is the LP schematic for reference. It's V1.5 but it will work for this conversation.

MSP-EXP430F5529LP_Schematic.pdf