Sign in to follow this  
EmBlocks

How reset MSP430 with GDBproxy++ (for free EmBlocks IDE)

Hi,

I'm busy with the integration/support of MSP430 in the free EmBlocks IDE.

I have already created a new project wizard and made a toolchain driver for the mspgcc.   

The GDB 7.6, which is used by EmBlocks, is made uptodate for the MSP430.

As GDB server I'm using the GDBproxy++ which is automatically launched by EmBlocks.

So far so good, almost there to publish. Only.... 

How do I reset the MSP430 with GDBproxy ?????

Now I just rewrite the $pc to the start but this doesn't reset the system (peripherals). I saw that the MSP430 dll has reset api's do I have to implement these into GDBproxy as additional monitor command (rCmnd)?

Thanks.

EmBlocks IDE

I will answer my own question.

I found the MSP430 dll development download and there was a full description with examples. So, yes, I have to implement that reset command in GDBproxy++ as an additional monitor command (GDB server rCmnd).

Edit:

You can find the IDE at:

http://www.emblocks.org

Ok, that sounds easier than it is.

I can't build GDBserverfoundation and GDBproxy because of all kind of bzslib problems. I use 2.5.4  (the newest I can find) but this is not building.

Are there people who actually succeed in (re)building this GDBproxy++ project??? 

Yes, I looked at mspdebug but this has a lot of command line interactions, GDBproxy++ is very easy to implement for IDE embedding.

But perhaps I need to re-evaluate the GDBproxy choice. 

For now it's only win32 because this is the biggest group, most linux users are proud and fond of working from the command line (Makefile) so you would do a lot of work for a rather small group. I hope/think that this will shift in future.

Thanks.

For now it's only win32 because this is the biggest group, most linux users are proud and fond of working from the command line (Makefile) so you would do a lot of work for a rather small group. I hope/think that this will shift in future.

I'm a linux user, however I tend to use Eclipse. However, Eclipse is really bad at dealing with a single c++ code base that runs on multiple architectures/chips.  There are two options that I can see with dealing with it. 1) Create custom makefile that support building different architecture targets. (I've done this with fabooh) or 2) Create a single source code base and create multiple projects specific to each chip that link to the source using the Eclipse link feature.

Option 1 falls down when you try and use the code indexing/inspection feature of Eclipse.  It will only index the code for one chip at a time. So you have to constantly change the chip and reindex to pick up the proper compiler headers and chip specific headers.

Option 2 falls down as you have to use the GUI to configure each project properly with the appropriate compiler and defines for each chip by hand.

However, when Eclipse is configured properly, the code inspection and indexing capabilities are great even with my convoluted c++ template code.

Does cscope even deal with c++ code with templates?  I haven't used it since the 80's so I'd be surprised if it did c++.

-rick

Does cscope even deal with c++ code with templates?  I haven't used it since the 80's so I'd be surprised if it did c++.

The latest version is from 2012-08, it's still alive and kicking. It even supports JAVA

http://cscope.sourceforge.net/

I'm not fond of those java ide's. Too slow and a lot of tweaking. EmBlocks which is native is much faster and is portable (just copy the application directory). With Java I'm always struggling with versions, Netbeans needs x, ccs needs y , MplabX needs x2 etc etc.