43oh

Suggestions/Thoughts on a donation button

Hello All,

I've been thinking about this and need some input from the Community. I was hoping to put up a Paypal donation button on the forum sidebar for goal type donations, but want to know your thoughts before proceeding, and if the group is ok with it.

0. The following points try to keep the donation tracker transparent. Feel free to criticize.

1. All donations will be logged and open to the community to see.

2. There will be a tracker showing the current amount donated.

3. Members can donate anonymously.

4. All donations will be goal run. Eg: For the 2013 Nov-Dec Project of the Month Contest. Target will be either date or amount.

5. A discussion topic will be attached to each donation, so you can ask questions or keep tab. I'll also be updating it about where the money is being spent. Eg: Contests, shipping, supplies etc.

Let me know what you think. Nothing is implemented yet. There is a plugin for this forum software which takes care of everything. I've to just set it up.

Example sidebar mock-ups.

Capture.JPG

My suggestion would be to price items from the store more appropriately and use profits from the store to support the site.

I have recently gotten in to R/C, and one of the sites most rapidly growing in popularity is flitetest.com.  While I personally consider their products to be insanely overpriced, they have had such such great response that they have actually had to hire additional employees to fulfill all of their orders.

My suggestion would be to price items from the store more appropriately and use profits from the store to support the site.

I have recently gotten in to R/C, and one of the sites most rapidly growing in popularity is flitetest.com.  While I personally consider their products to be insanely overpriced, they have had such such great response that they have actually had to hire additional employees to fulfill all of their orders.

Thanks @@rockets4kids

BTW, What do you fly?

I am flying scratch-built planes made from Dollar Tree foam and packing tape, largely as per the techniques described in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587275

The planes do not fly quite as well as commercial molded-foam kits, and the Dollar Tree foam is not nearly as resilient as EPO foam but they fly more than well enough and are a great way to learn about aeronautical engineering while spending remarkably little money.

The people at Flite Test use the same Dollar Tree foam, but slightly different build techniques.  All of their designs are completely open source, and they sell "speed build" kits which are nothing more than Dollar Tree foam that has been pre-cut on a laser cutter.  They sell roughly $5 worth of materials (retail cost) for $25 - $35, which is about what you would pay for a similar kit molded from high-quality EPO foam.

All I can figure is that either a *lot* of people have an aversion to transferring a pattern and cutting it out with an x-acto knife, or people are purchasing the kits largely because they want to support the site, and the kit is just a small token they get in return.   I do believe the latter is far more the case than the former.

Here are some quick pics of my latest plane, taken shortly before I finished it and flew it yesterday:

http://imgur.com/a/kl6OE

She flew great and came back almost undamaged despite some rough landings -- due entirely to pilot error.

No MSP430s on board yet, but that is going to happen *really* soon now.