43oh

Can't get to Square One

Thanks again abecedarian. I am using the F5529 board and have only compiled and run the Blink program. It seems to work just fine and I haven't run into the 20-bit addressing limitation. I bought the F5529 board because I thought I needed it to talk to the DRV8711EVM motor control board, but now it looks like I don't need the F5529 board but rather can talk to the EVM board direct from my PC. So I'll have to see if I can find another use for the F5529 board.

John

• 9 months later...

AFAIK MSP430F5529 LP EZ-FET Lite is CDC+CDC composite device (one port for debugger and another one for USB-UART bridge). WinXP SP2  due to the bug (usbser.sys) are not able to work with  CDC+CDC composite device. I deeply dubt that this is not included in TI installation (if they use usbser.sys). Anyway, patch is here...

attachicon.gifWin XP SP2 composite upd.rar

For firmware update on target device (MSP430F5529) without FET can be used USB BSL. Just download MSP430 USB Firmware Upgrade Example from... http://software-dl.ti.com/msp430/msp430_public_sw/mcu/msp430/MSP430_USB_Developers_Package/latest/index_FDS.html

Plug USB cable from PC to USB target device connector (not FET). And for entering in USB BSL mode, there is no need to plug/unplug cable every time with pressed BSL button. It is enough to press RESET/BSL button together, first release RESET, and 1 second after release BSL.

Thanks Jazz.

You save the day for me.

I was struggling with my Win XP SP2 machine.

Couldn't connect to the MSP430f5529 launchpad due to the serial port driver problem.

I was using Energia.

None of the other solutions like installing the Code composer studio, etc, worked. 

After installing the patch uploaded by by you, everything worked like a charm.

Yakkov

AFAIK MSP430F5529 LP EZ-FET Lite is CDC+CDC composite device (one port for debugger and another one for USB-UART bridge). WinXP SP2  due to the bug (usbser.sys) are not able to work with  CDC+CDC composite device. I deeply dubt that this is not included in TI installation (if they use usbser.sys). Anyway, patch is here...

attachicon.gifWin XP SP2 composite upd.rar

For firmware update on target device (MSP430F5529) without FET can be used USB BSL. Just download MSP430 USB Firmware Upgrade Example from... http://software-dl.ti.com/msp430/msp430_public_sw/mcu/msp430/MSP430_USB_Developers_Package/latest/index_FDS.html

Plug USB cable from PC to USB target device connector (not FET). And for entering in USB BSL mode, there is no need to plug/unplug cable every time with pressed BSL button. It is enough to press RESET/BSL button together, first release RESET, and 1 second after release BSL.

This "patch" you mention is an archive containing two different .exe files. Looking up the Microsoft KB articles it seems that KB918365 is the relevant patch. But when I try to apply it, it says that my Win XP version is newer than the patch, so there is no need to apply it. 

I just installed Code Composer Studio, and it can't connect to the board, either. 

• 9 months later...

HTH, I solved my case like this:

Windows 7 (64). Mspdebug had been running fine, but Energia just could never write to the board.

For a last attempt I unpacked another Launchpad box, which happened to be a v1.5 board -- and voila! :-o

(BTW: is it the *FET* driver appearing in Device Manager as a Generic HID Device?)

Needless to say, it's mspdebug now that can no longer recognize the board...

I saw the libusb driver not appearing either, so I tried reinstalling it with its "inf-wizard".

And, hurray, mspdebug works again! Cool.

But... Umm... guess what... Energia is back again to "square 0"...: no unused FET found! :)

So... Either mspdebug (via libusb & "rf2500"), or Energia (via the FET driver?), this is the deal for me here.

But, at least, as it seems, I can get either of them running now, any time, for both v1.4 and v1.5 boards, just not at the same time.