Sign in to follow this  
joelfinkle

Tiva: Can I attach a USB keyboard to the Device USB

Is it possible to attach USB devices to the Device USB on a Tiva/Stellaris LaunchPad eval kit board?

I'm planning a game, and rather than scraping up a bunch of switches for a keypad, I've got a USB keypad sitting around which would do the job nicely.

Is this do-able?  Is it major effort?

Is it possible to attach USB devices to the Device USB on a Tiva/Stellaris LaunchPad eval kit board?

I'm planning a game, and rather than scraping up a bunch of switches for a keypad, I've got a USB keypad sitting around which would do the job nicely.

Is this do-able?  Is it major effort?

Yep. The Tiva is a Slave/Host/OTG USB device, and there is Tiva-ware for a USB Host HID device (Human Interface Device, like standard usb keyboards).

See http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/spmu297/spmu297.pdf for details on the Tiva USB software and try checking out http://forum.stellarisiti.com/ for the Stellaris/Tiva forum.

Op wants to host a usb keyboard, not emulate one.

This.

The USB Driver docs might have enough info for me to hammer it out... I was hoping to frob somebody else's work.

Something tells me this isn't going to be a cake walk in Energia.

This.

The USB Driver docs might have enough info for me to hammer it out... I was hoping to frob somebody else's work.

Something tells me this isn't going to be a cake walk in Energia.

Section 3.8.6 of the Tivaware document spmu297 I linked above. Not just the description, but an actual USB Host Keyboard example.

Section 3.8.6 of the Tivaware document spmu297 I linked above. Not just the description, but an actual USB Host Keyboard example.

Cool... now to figure out if it will work with Energia.  There's a usb.h, but it doens't match usblib.