43oh

How do I debug Energia sketch on MSP430 launch pad

Hi, can someone send me a pointer/tutorial on how to setup eclipse to debug Energia sketches on Windows 7? I've successfully used Energia to create a simple sketch and download it to the target MSP430 launch pad, but I have no idea on how to trace the code.

I've been able to use the CCS studio to code, download, and debug code, but I have no idea how to create a workspace and debug the Energia code. 

Please help - Thanks!

Hi, can someone send me a pointer/tutorial on how to setup eclipse to debug Energia sketches on Windows 7? I've successfully used Energia to create a simple sketch and download it to the target MSP430 launch pad, but I have no idea on how to trace the code.

I've been able to use the CCS studio to code, download, and debug code, but I have no idea how to create a workspace and debug the Energia code. 

Please help - Thanks!

bob,

The Energia environment is designed as a quick an dirty interface to program the MSP, and doesn't have full debug support.

If you need a debugger, I recommend moving to CCSv5, or v6 like Rei Vilo pointed to.

Actually, Energia is two things in one:

• a quick and dirty and pretty limited IDE
  • a framework based on the de facto Wiring-Arduino standard

The nice thing is you can use the framework without the IDE.

As major benefit, the Wiring-Arduino framework acts as a hardware abstraction layer and brings portability accross platforms. The very same code runs on many different boards and platforms: Arduino for AVR and SAM, Digispark, MPIDE for chipKIT PIC32, Energia for MSP430 and Stellaris/Tiva, Maple for ARM, Teensy for AVR and ARM, Wiring for AVR, ... provided the code relies on the standard libraries

post-12238-0-28889700-1382363890_thumb.png

post-12238-0-36324900-1382363894_thumb.png

post-12238-0-67430000-1382363989_thumb.png