Sign in to follow this  
jpnorair

Brutal Wire Cutters Needed

I have a lot of pairs of these cutters (or similar):
http://www.apexhandtools.com/brands/CF_Files/model_detail.cfm?upc=037103029935

As it turns out, they don't work on steel wire.  In fact, the steel wire just makes a nice steel-wire-shaped divot in the blades of the cutters.

I'm going to buy a few pairs of these "Hard Wire" cutters (below), unless someone has a good recommendation of some other, suitable set of cutters.  Preferably, the blades are nimble -- I can't tell in the linked image how easy it is going to be to get these cutters into tight places.

http://www.apexhandtools.com/brands/CF_Files/model_detail.cfm?upc=037103059994

Thanks!  As you might guess, I'm making antennas.

you may want to check out a music shop for piano / guitar string cutters.  

these type usually, but not always, shear the wire (like scissors) rather than 'pinch' the wire (like diagonal cutters).

i've also used tough scissors for cutting thin steel wires (to about 0.010 inch dia).

a little loop at the sharp end, formed with needle-nosed pliers, makes that end safer.

(edit - yep, i read your link referring to 'piano wire', i was referring to where to buy such 'shearing' cutters)

For your consideration, here is a link to some fret cutters from stewmac.com.

I cannot tell how tough the material is that these are used on but they appear to be strong.

I also took a look at the two pliers you linked to and they appear to be very similar in physical size. The Xcelite 134CG look like they would do the job well. 

Piano wire cutters are physically huge. Check out the google images gallery.

If I had to tune stainless steel antennas then I would get these Xuron shears or something similar.

Thanks for the recommendations.  I think the Xuron shears are probably the closest thing to what I need.

The antenna wire uses steel simply because it is ferromagnetic and thus produces a greater magnetic field when wound in a helix -- good for miniaturization of narrowband antennas.