43oh

MSP430F5529 LaunchPad with overeating TPS2041B

Hi,

While attaching some wires to P3.3 and P3.4 I must have done some circuit short (but I barely believe it as I was watchful), the USB hub's green LED (LED102) turned off and now every time I attach the USB plug the TPS2041B (U403) gets hot (after approximately 3 seconds - then I have to unplug so not to burn that stuff).

I can see the 

Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0451:2046 Texas Instruments, Inc. TUSB2046 Hub

in the system once connected, that's all.

Looking at the schematics at http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau533/slau533.pdf page 55 does not tell me much what might be broken, do you have any idea?
Didn't check if the F5529 works at all yet.

Best Regards,
tml

got a multimeter? might be an idea to check all the resistors/diodes/caps.

Hi,

The circuit short is somewhere on the microcontroller part. Once I removed the 3v3 jumper forwarding voltage to MSP430F5529 the EZ-FET started to work, the TPS2041B (U403) stopped overheating. There is a full connection between 3V3 and GND on the microcontroller part.

That means I just destroyed my LP and I only have it as EZ-FETLite :-( Right now I can see no easy way to identify which component causes the problem rather than demounting one after another.

Regards,

tml

If you know its the 3.3v rail, that really narrows it down. C19-20, C29-31, R27, C17, R14-16, R31-32, C23-24, C14, and the f5529 itself

Thanks! Unfortunately to be able to find the damaged one I have to start desoldering the components one by one.

Either tracking down and fixing the problem interests you enough to go to that effort, or it doesn't.

If it does, then you'll learn something about hardware defects. If not, then at least you've only written off part of a fairly cheap board.

And when you find out which component failed, you might learn what caused its failure.
  • 2 weeks later...