43oh

DriverLib - worth using or not?

It was only after looking at some examples for the F5529 LaunchPad that I came across TI's DriverLib. Odd that I've never seen it mentioned before. Is anyone using it? Is it worth getting familiar with it or should I just stick with dealing with registers directly?

I'm tempted to give it a go as there's a lot more to the F5529 with USB. Also at my skill level adapting sample code will get me going quicker that doing everything from scratch. However, I've so little free time that I don't want to waste it get to know yet another framework / library if it's not going to be that useful.

It seems to actually be called MSP430ware. It all looks OK and seems to be intended as an abstraction over exactly what MSP430 you're using and hence what registers, etc. you need. It seems OK - I'm just surprised it's being used for example code on the more highly spec'd chips if it's a "beginner's library" and surprised it's not cropped up on here if it's for more advanced use.

I'm going to assume from the fact that this topic didn't get many replies that it's a bit of a "meh" from everyone.

MSP430ware/DriverLib is intended to be used like TivaWare.  It's an abstraction layer that makes access to the part peripherals easier.  There are more functions in addition to that though , but you'll have to explore the examples for your device. It's a good start for beginners when using some of the more complex sub systems like USB.

The only reason is gets a "meh" opinion is because it's not widely advertised or used yet.  If you know 430 well already, you probably won't get much out of it since it will likely disrupt your typically programing style, but those that are new to the part will find it a lot easier to use.  Most of the advanced users here likely won't use it, and that might be filtering through in advice.  At the very least, it's worth giving a try.

Thanks for your input. Once I discovered it was called MSP430ware there are a few other topics on here saying pretty much the same thing.

I'm giving it a go as I'm using some of the USB example code that written with it. To be honest the concept of abstracting away the exact device you're using is a bit pointless unless it covers more and starts with the simpler stuff (e.g. G2 Launchpad). If you've already got used to direct register access it seems like a bit of a backwards step to use MSP430ware when progressing to more powerful devices.

There's also the oddity that Grace goes takes another approach (a graphical tool that creates code for you in the "direct to register" style) and only supports the smaller devices.

I'm giving it a go as I'm using some of the USB example code that written with it. To be honest the concept of abstracting away the exact device you're using is a bit pointless unless it covers more and starts with the simpler stuff (e.g. G2 Launchpad). If you've already got used to direct register access it seems like a bit of a backwards step to use MSP430ware when progressing to more powerful devices.

That's essentially why I developed BSP430: I want my serial console code to work whether a UART is a USART, USCI, USCI 5xx, or EUSCI device.

BSP430 doesn't have a USB abstraction, though.  (Or an 5529LP platform.  That'll get fixed eventually; ship date's still 16 October for mine.  The EXP430F5529 platform would probably work now with a little tweaking, though.)