43oh

Energia serial.print will not talk to Windows 7 pro sp1.

Hope this works.  New to using forms.

The jumpers are all horizontal.  One time I got it to transmit some garbage, now nothing.  Used two separate V1.5 boards.

Device manager does not show any errors.

Tried on both Windows 7 sp1 64 bit and Windows XPsp3 32 bit. 

About ready to throw in the towel and go to CCS.  I just was going through the "Getting Started with the MSP430 Launchpad" book, now

dead in the water.  Anyone using CCS and having communication problems?

Thanks for the support and any additional ideas.  This seems like such a simple thing.

Steve

Last post.  Losing mind.

Just for giggles I tried placing jumpers vertical and selecting 2452 chip, ran great.  Program size 1556

Then went back to horizontal jumpers and selected the 2553 chip set RAN GREAT.  Program size 2268

I don't know if I was goofing up or the setup just needed to be switch around a couple times.

And why is software smaller than hardware setup.  If you are memory tight you might consider using software communication????

Thanks for everyone's help.

Steve

@@smd61, sorry to hear that you had some much trouble with getting Serial going. I hope the page @@pao pointed you to helped explaining it. If you have an earlier ref of the board then see the rev 1.4 picture for what jumpers to cross. 

To answer your size questions, there is a bit of overhead for using a high level language. There is quite a bit of support code that enables you to do things like Serial.println(). Software Serial tends to be a bit smaller as the actual code implementing the Serial part is a bit smaller.

Hope this helps,

Robert

COMMUNICATION PROBLEM FIXED:

Thank you everyone for your help.  I got it working reliability and here is my analysis.

There are five things that effect communication, Energia, Energia setup, PC USB/UART, MSP430 UART, and MAP430 configuration.  On my system I found that if any of them are not correct it appears to lock up the communication hardware (UARTs).  Depending who is locked up you need to clear all of them, i.e. unplug the MSP430 and reboot the computer.  Energia does not appear to do any kind of resets on the communication lines, so once out of sync it stays out of sync.  Make sure the Energia and the MSP430 are set up correctly before plugging the MSP in.  Doing partial resets may not clear the problem, so start from scratch.  Once communicating you can open and close the Energia communication window at will.

Another thing, my computer has a serial board which is always COM1:  When the Energia/MSP430 are started it can sometimes select COM1.  Works fine for downloading programs, but will not transmit data to the PC.  I had to use COM1 on another item to make it busy so Energia/MSP430 would select another COM port.

I found I could change the jumpers on the MSP V1.5 and select the 2452 board which would force it to run software communication data just fine. Same rules apply for making everything right or it would stay messed up until total resets.  The program was about 500 bytes smaller with software communication.  The UART takes about 1ms/character while software communication took about 2.9ms/character.  No flow control, so once you over run the transmission you might have to go back to total reset.

Hope this helps someone and thanks for all your help.

SMD61

Another thing, my computer has a serial board which is always COM1:  When the Energia/MSP430 are started it can sometimes select COM1.  Works fine for downloading programs, but will not transmit data to the PC.  I had to use COM1 on another item to make it busy so Energia/MSP430 would select another COM port.

Do you mean the USB serial port created by the launchpad is assigned COM1 and conflicts with the internal serial port?

On my computer it appears as COM4 but it looks like energia doesn't detect ports changes, if I plug the launchpad after I run energia, only the onboard COM1 is shown.

Downloading works because it doesn't use the serial port.

Yes.  Good download info.  Still registers, just won't work.  Only way I found around it is to launch my LabVIEW com program that makes it busy.  Also found using my LabVIEW program (or any Com program such as Hyperterm) can be used in place of the Energia com window.  That makes it nice for doing data manipulation.  I wonder if you could pipe it straight to a file, I'll try it some day.   

Btw i'm with windows8.

I got a new msp430 lauchpad. Still the V1.5, not the new for msp430f5.

And well...i got no issues with it. I don't know what exacly was rong with the other since it was V1.5 too. One tingh i noticed it's that the USB conection is better. The other would come off easily