43oh

Integrated Phpbb with main Wordpress blog

Hey Everyone,

We have integrated the board with the main blog. There may be some bugs floating around, so please report them.

Ive tested it in the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome. In IE the rounded corners do not show up, otherwise it looks ok.

Any suggestions on the way it looks is appreciated. Thanks for using and visiting 43oh!

I think it looks nice. Streamlined and such. Good work.

One minor suggestion, though. The top bar where it says "Blog {RSS} {Forums}" I'd remove the curly braces around the last two items and make them all the same color, just to add some unity to the effect. But that's personal preference. It's much more noticeable now that they're at the top of every page instead of just the blog. Just my two cents :)

Keep up the great work!

First, a disclaimer: I am a software project manager, and my teams know I am very critical about presentation and user experience. Please don't take my sugestions as anything more than suggestions. ;)

The top bar where it says "Blog {RSS} {Forums}" I'd remove the curly braces around the last two items and make them all the same color, just to add some unity to the effect.

Actually, the navigation should read "{Blog} {RSS} Forums", with "Forums in the light green and the rest in the orange. This shows the page the viewer is on, and the available options.

The choice to remove the sidebar from the forum page was a good one. The forum would be too narrow with the sidebar. If I were you, though, I would add small advertisements to the sidebar on the blog, and maybe a thin banner style at the top of the forum page. With the number of visits you must get, maybe you could make a little money to pay for your hosting.

May I suggest another "Style" (as phpBB calls it) for the forum, to more closely match the site overall? A quick look shows "Charcoal" (http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo/3.0/?style_id=1039) as a close match. You could tweak the CSS further to more closely match, if you like. The WordPress theme works really well for the site and its content.

WordPress and phpBB are a great combination! I really like the site. I visit the blog a few times a day, and the forums near constantly if I am at my computer. Thanks!

-Doc

Whoops, one more detail I noticed as I submitted my post: If the rendered page is shorter than the screen, anything below shows white (try the 'Buy, Trade, Sell' forum). Not huge, but as I said in my previous post...

Should be fixable in CSS.

-Doc

Thanks Geekdoc!

1 - {Blog} {RSS} Forums

This is a better idea as it shows the current page in focus. Gatesphere had similar views on the color. I'll get to this.

2 -

The choice to remove the sidebar from the forum page was a good one. The forum would be too narrow with the sidebar. If I were you, though, I would add small advertisements to the sidebar on the blog, and maybe a thin banner style at the top of the forum page. With the number of visits you must get, maybe you could make a little money to pay for your hosting.

I was testing using a sidebar, but that made the forums narrower and was killing the experience. I'll leave it as it is for now. But yes, a sidebar is planned.

If the rendered page is shorter than the screen, anything below shows white (try the 'Buy, Trade, Sell' forum).

Noticed this bug. This is first in my list to fix.

I am a software project manager, and my teams know I am very critical about presentation and user experience

That is good for me. Feel free to send suggestions.

May I suggest another "Style" (as phpBB calls it) for the forum, to more closely match the site overall? A quick look shows "Charcoal" (http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo/3.0/?style_id=1039) as a close match. You could tweak the CSS further to more closely match, if you like. The WordPress theme works really well for the site and its content.

O_O nice theme. The default theme was the safer way to go. Themes will change so that it does not get too boring.

Thanks for your help!