43oh

Warning - don't attempt to solder a ZIF to Launchpad

Hi,

i attempted to desolder the standard machined socket and replace it with a cheap 1 EUR ZIF Socket (TEXTOOL clone) from Ebay. It turned out after multiple attempts the holes are too small in diameter for any other socket except the machined socket to fit...

My launchpad looks like crap now, i must resolder a normal machined socket now.

WBR

Sergey

I have had exactly the opposite results. I was able to replace the DIP socket with a ZIF socket on 3 Launch Pads. My ZIF sockets are also Textool clones marked 'TFXTDOL". My sockets fit tight but inserted without a problem. On the first DIP socket that I replaced I'll admit that I missed getting all of the solder off of one pin when removing the DIP socket and managed to lift a trace. The top pad and thru-plating lifted when I pried up the DIP socket. Luckily it was pin 11 and I was able to just install a fly-wire on the bottom of the board between the ZIF socket pin and the header pad for P2.3. A little hot glue holds the fly wire to the board and protects it from movement.

The only tip I can offer if you attempt to change out the sockets is to make sure that you have all of the solder completely removed from the pads and holes. A little solder left in a hole or around the lip on the pad WILL keep the ZIF socket from seating. A desoldering gun is almost mandatory - a pump-type solder sucker or solder wick isn't going to get the job done.

Mike

Hi,

i even tried soldering it into existing holes - didn't work. My TEXTOOL clone is no

TFXTDOL (i got these too, but not 20 pin-type) but a clone with "3M" marking.

As soon as i get machined 20 pins sockets, i will again solder one into my launchpad

and use this construction, an ZIF addon-board for Launchpad. Hopefully also the

new Launchpads will arrive (i ordered some, as i though i might have damaged

mine, who knows...)

EA7eq.jpg

0xsay

6TgcE.jpg

I did this without any professional equipment, so the results are not that nice.

Yeah I like that. Can I see a picture with it mounted and the underside of it? I am having a hard time putting it into perspective if I wanted to reproduce.

Sorry I didn't notice that you didn't have a LP yet. When you get one or your socket would you mind taking a picture?

Sergey,

Like everyone else, I was impressed with your solution to a simpler solution to installing a ZIF socket. Impressed enough that I made one of my own and it works well. I'm fortunate enough to have a CNC machine so I routed out a pc board instead of using perf board. The pc board is double-sided and I routed the traces on both sides. Because I can't do thru-plating I used the male pins to provide connectivity to both sides of the board - just soldered the pins on both side of the board. I also included pads for the crystal and 1206 caps should I ever want to mount the crystal directly on the board.

Again, many thanks for such a terrific idea.

Mike

post-1200-135135498015_thumb.jpg

post-1200-135135498021_thumb.jpg

are you guys trying to remove the entire socket in one piece, or are you using micro shears to cut the plastic up and desoldering one pin at a time? If you have to pull the pin out with any force then you dont have all the solder melted. It helps to add new leaded solder, aids in heat retention and lowers the melting temp. The pin should come out very easily.

A good tip for cleaning the holes: once you get the pin removed, fill the hole back up with leaded solder then while keeping the solder melted by holding your iron on the edge of the pad use a solder sucker to clear the hole. This process usually leaves a pretty clean hole.

• 5 months later...

I've built a satellite board for the Launchpad, which has a ZIF socket. I found out the hard way (in spite of warnings in the book I was reading) that this precludes the use of a clock crystal on XIN/XOUT. I suspect that the same could be true even if the ZIF is soldered directly to the Launchpad. Of course, if you always use the internal DCO this is not a problem, but using only the DCO can restrict your low power options. Maybe it would still be OK, but the clock crystal oscillator is easily upset.

My solution was to mount the MSP430 chip on the Launchpad socket when using the clock crystal, and use the satellite board ZIF socket if not using the clock crystal. However, for this to work in my set up, I had to remove the surface mount jumpers (0 ohm resistors) on the Launchpad board that connect the XIN/XOUT port pins to the outer breakout pins.

Andy