43oh

Windows Programming?

My friend told me about RealBasic tonight.

He suggested that I check it out since I am interested in creating some applications on Windows/Mac/Linux/Web. Apparently, it can produce cross-platform code.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a programming environment that I can use to make Windows apps that use the serial port and talk to our embedded devices. I don't want to climb an impossible learning curve.

What do you think?

RealBasic or something else?

NOTE: I changed the topic name to be inclusive of all programming options - not just realbasic.

• 3 weeks later...

I second Processing, it's a wonderful language. I also recommend full Java--Swing is decently easy to use, and standard. Also, most Java IDE's (specifically NetBeans) come with a Swing layout editor.

Or, if you're working on a really low level and can guarantee that your program will be run only on a Unix machine, you could write a TK wrapper around a bash script that communicates with one of the comm port terminals. But I doubt that's what you want.

I've been coding so many embedded projects that I haven't spent much time coding for windows.

So, now I'm looking for suitable C dev tools that I can use to build windows programs for my clients.

I'd like to write a program that downloads S19 records to a target over the serial to usb link that I'm creating for them.

Ten years ago, I used C++Builder3. That's a write off now that Win7 is here. The new owners of Borland found me via my old Borland account info. They offered to upgrade my ancient C++Builder3 to C++BuilderXE for ~$500 (pro version).

So, I don't know if I should go for it or try (the seemingly hard way) and try some form of GCC.

If you're looking for C/C++, go with Code::Blocks. It's a free IDE (based on gcc), with a GUI builder integrated (creates wxWidgets GUIs--wxWidgets is a wonderfully easy to use GUI toolkit). Seriously, unless you have a valid reason, I see no purpose in paying for software that you can get for free. Code compiled with gcc is in many cases more standards-compliant, and is potentially more optimized (using the -O2 or -O3 flags) and (in my experience) faster to execute.

GCC is certainly the way, and Code::Blocks makes it easy.

EDIT: Another very highly recommended IDE is wxDev-C++. It offers the same features, and is also free. It also appears to have been updated more recently than Code::Blocks. I have experience with both, and I have to say that I recommend Dev-C++'s interface over Code::Blocks'. But that's personal preference. Nowadays, I'm hardcore and stick to the command line... but that's just me being a masochist.

Links: wxDev-C++, and Code::Blocks

It looks like both of those tools use borland compilers to do their job.

I don't know about Code::Blocks. It looks like it hasn't been maintained very actively. Maybe that's a false impression.

As much as I like free tools, I am a bit leery of half-baked stuff that will mislead me into thinking it's awesome but it ends up being a time sink.

Time is money so I just want to write code.

I'm still seriously thinking of buying the $500 upgrade for C++Builder. I've got until March 31st to convince myself.

I have done allot of windows programing with it and it was very easy to use. It works out of the box. Its not visual studio quality but nothing it in my opinion (as much as i hate M$). You could all ways go with the free version of visual studio and their serial port API which is extremely easy to use.

After careful consideration, I am not convinced that C++Builder XE is the product for me either.

Talk about a lot of emotion over a simple compiler.

I think I'll take some time to evaluate the QT and Bloodshed options you guys have noted.

I mostly want to develop windows programs that talk to embedded processors over the serial port.

I used to use AsyncPro when I used C++Builder3. I don't know how to do that with GNU or any other compiler now.

It would be cool if some smart person out there could put together a tutorial on how to make this happen.

Any takers out there?

No experience with Realbaisc, but try Nokia's QT. It's platform independent UI framework:

http://qt.nokia.com/

This looks very interesting.

I dl'd the dev kit and there's some pretty cool stuff in there. I like the price too. Free.

I think I'll spend some time exploring this option.

Hopefully, I'll find some serial port routines soon.