Sign in to follow this  
grahamf72

[Energia Library] Extending IO with Shift Registers

I've created a couple of basic libraries for use with the 74HC595 and 74HC165 shift register IC's. Each 74HC595 IC adds 8 digital outputs, and each 74HC165 adds 8 digital inputs, and require just 3 pins on the 430. They can also be daisy chained, so you can add many more inputs and outputs all using just 3 pins on the 430. The only limitation to the number of IC's you can daisy chain is the amount of RAM.

The attached libraries have basic documentation in the header files, including how to wire the IC's up. The ShiftReg library is for output only (74HC595 only), and the ShiftRegIO library is for input and output (74HC595 & 74HC165).  Because the library requires 1byte of ram for every IC added, I have put a limit of 4 IC's, but this is easily changed by editing the header files.

Shift Register Libraries.zip

I cant compile the examples, /Energia/libraries/ShiftReg/ShiftReg.h:73:23: error: 'uint16_t' has not been declared and so on... any suggestions??

i already solved this issue, i was only a matter of including SPI.h library, now, the issue i am facing is in the third cascading 595, it seems to always repeat the value of the first chip, do you know why???