43oh

Glue to use for securing prototyping solder jobs

Hey gang, I'm guessing that there's a wealth of information here regarding this sort of thing.

The problem is that I'm using wires to connect pads of a UQFN to pads on a dead-bugged leadless SON-8.  It is small work that required a microscope, and if I try to probe the lines with an oscilloscope, it will all come apart.  I need some glue to put on top in order to secure the wires.

The holy grail would be a fast drying, thick glue.  Once I used this stuff called "Perfect Glue" (link), which was pretty good, but it does not dry terribly quickly.  I've also tried UV-curing epoxy, which is also pretty good, expect that it is a bit too liquidy, so it is harder to keep it confined.  Otherwise, the UV-curing epoxy is the holy grail -- maybe there's a type of it that is thicker than the kind I had.  Maybe also there is something I have never tried.

Thanks!

I use super glue for this purpose all of the time. If you use the accelerator spray it also dries instantly. Normal super glue is very thin however like water... Seems to be attracted to the plastic epoxy of an IC. (And skin!) You can burn through super glue really easy with a soldering iron too if needed.

I did find some "gel" consistency super glue at the dollar store, still using up my first tube so I haven't tried it out yet.

I would CA glue the device down to some prototyping FR4 board.

Then I would solder on some fly leads using 30 gauge wirewrap wire. The other end of each fly wire would solder to a pad on the proto board.

Then you can probe the proto board rather than the dead bug IC.

I have used non-corrosive RTV silicon to fully secure the dead bug IC once I tested everything out.

Slow cure or thick CA glue works great and dries clear usually depending on conditions. Accelerator is a must usually in a dark brown little spray bottle.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/RC_PRODUCT_SEARCH.asp?strSearch=Ca+glue

I have used these to secure wires in place after soldering

Every hobby place sells this brand and puts their name sticker on it, but you can recognize it by the bottles, and color of the label/lid

Blue label "insta-cure thin" is standard superglue, and flows like alcohol, sets in seconds. Not very useful

Purple "insta-cure plus" is a medium syrup thickness that fills gaps more than flows into them sets in 30 seconds to a minute, usefull to use accelerator

Magenta "maxi-cure" is a THICK gel consistency, stays put sets over several minutes. Accelerator is a must get this if you can

The specialty ones, cyan "flexible", and pink "clear rubber" i havent used personally

"Foam safe" just means it doesnt outgas like normal CA so less white powder crystals and less smell, but its bond is weaker than normal CA

Always buy these, they are high grade hobby glues, cheap knock offs just annoy you and arent consistent

You can find them at any store or online shop that sells RC hobby stuff

Buy the 2oz bottles, they last forever and dont dry out if you store them with the lid on tight

Once you get used to using CA like this you will hate it in the stupid little 0.1oz metal tubes you get at the store

• 2 weeks later...

I found this stuff called "Go2Glue" at Home Depot today.  The box says it sets in 30 mins and cures in 24 hours.  I can vouch that after about an hour it is "hard enough"

Epoxies are great, but I like that I can just apply this glue directly from the container onto the circuits, or whatever.  So far, so good.  Here is a link: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/go2_glue/overview/GO2-Glue.htm