43oh

Automatic Scoring for Foosball

Planning to beef up a really old, rickity, foosball table with some led's and photoresistors in order to automate my scoring. It is such an old table, having these sensors will be like placing a laser scope on a musket. But, I just can't resist. Maybe future projects could include cameras set up with instant replay, and including some audio into the game scheme, Or how about a scoring system to keep track of players records for a type of league play. Go Foosball!!! Pictures to come....

I posted in another forum about using a lidar sensor for the automatic scoring, but I have not heard a response about finding a reasonably priced sensor. I guess that is a little overkill. I guess I should just go for the variable photoresistor. I have the circuit setup for the photoresistor. Pics to come soon!!! So excited about this project. 

some pics of the table at hand, and my first upgrade of many. The foosball table is a 1 goalie style, with the sloped corners. very fast play. The circuit I have set is a simple LED scoring system, wired to photoresistors that record a point as the ball passes over the goal, blocking the light of the photoresistor is shaded by the scoring ball. Check it out, looking forward to hearing any comments. thanks for reading this.

post-31157-0-85638400-1374853475_thumb.jpg

post-31157-0-67838700-1374853483_thumb.jpg

I'm having some trouble with the points being counted automatically. Using an LED with the photoresistor. I think I need a light with a more direct light. I wonder if a laser pointer would work with a photoresistor? Or, I guess I could direct the light of the LED with some kind of 3D print. more posts to follow.  ;-)

I'm having some trouble with the points being counted automatically. Using an LED with the photoresistor. I think I need a light with a more direct light. I wonder if a laser pointer would work with a photoresistor? Or, I guess I could direct the light of the LED with some kind of 3D print. more posts to follow.  ;-)

here is an led print on thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24407 this may help focus the light for you.

Laser+photodiode should work fine, costs more than an LED but other than that there aren't any downsides that come to mind. Putting a black sleeve on the photodiode to keep ambient light out goes a long way towards improving sensitivity when used with an LED. For me anyway, in my admittedly limited experience.

Big screen slow-mo action replay - now *that* would be quite a project!

Right!!. I'm thinking of multi camera angles. The replay would be initiated by the goal sensor led/photoresist. I'm just throwing ideas out there. If anyone has any other cool ideas I would love to hear for implementation. ~ Orso