43oh

panStamp switching to CC430

For those that are not familiar with the panStamp, currently it's an Arduino compatible "stamp" with an Atmel Atmega328P and TI CC1101 wireless radio.

They have announced their next version will switch to a CC430 with Energia! Now with modified Arduino 1.5 IDE.

Read more here http://www.panstamp.com/announcements/imminentfuture 

post-3-0-17121700-1373713545_thumb.png

I guess that means that there's an Energia port for CC430, or that they are going to port one.  Good news for me, I'm a huge user of CC430, not much of a G-series user.  Moreover, I'll be able to use their hardware (with some mods, I'll post the changes online).

I guess that means that there's an Energia port for CC430, or that they are going to port one.

Yes, this is from their anouncement

the CC430 SOC's are not currently in the list of supported microcontrollers by Energia. The good news is that CC430's have a MSP430 "inside" so porting the existing core functions is not so complex. And we are doing so, thanks to Zac Manchester, from KickSat, who provided us with an initial port of Energia for the CC430 IC and a very valuable support (thanks again Zac). For anyone interested, we are maintaining our own fork of Energia here but the guys from Energia have already told us about their interest to merge our work back to the official version soon.

Sounds like good news!  It's good to see Energia expanding.  The existing panStamp is only $18 - I wonder where pricing will fall with the 430 - I'm assuming cheaper since Atmel chips are pricey compared to 430's.

The PanStamp relies on EEPROM as a critical design feature, so the I2C EEPROM chip that is added probably offsets the cost advantage from going to CC430 from AVR+CC1101.

• 3 months later...

panStamp has provided new information

panStamp NRG is coming...

posted 21 hours ago by Daniel Berenguer   [ updated 8 hours ago ]

panStamp NRG, the new version of our flexible wireless modules, is almost ready for beta-test. We have been contacted by lots of developers wanting to help us test the new platform and this is the kind of thing that makes us really proud. We are in fact preparing a special batch of beta units for this community of kamikazes, containing all the necessary to start developing for the new panStamps.

panStamp_NRG_parts.png?height=400&width=
Figure 1 : New panStamp NRG

As you may see in the picture above, specifications have changed a bit since the first announcement was posted. We have omitted an on-board EEPROM since the CC430 already includes a specific region in flash (info memory) to save data into. On the other hand, future versions of the board will probably include a footprint on the bottom side for SPI RAM or EEPROM IC's.

One of the strengths of the new panStamp is that each board will be uniquely identifiable in the world thanks to the wafer ID and X-Y position of the MCU in the wafer. Thus, we will be able to use this unique ID as a MAC for our projects or even develop a DHCP mechanism to dynamically assign addresses to our wireless nodes.

And not less important, the onboard LED, thermistor and (optional) accelerometer will make our tiny modules more autonomous than ever. As an example, only a panStamp connected to a 3V battery will make a cheap wireless temperature sensor without the need of a carrier board or an external sensor.

psnrg_simple_thermistor.png?height=367&w

Figure 2 : Wireless temperature sensor powered by a CR2032 coin cell

The CC430F5137 is a surprising MCU. Hidden behind the modesty of a MSP430, it inherits all the low-power features of Texas Instrument's popular 16-bit cores. Besides the integrated radio, it also provides lots of interesting things like addressable digital pins, unique ID, 12-bit ADC's, hardware RTC, etc. This SOC works in fact perfect with out SWAP protocol, it is very reliable, efficient and, very important, it works with Energia. This great MCU, combined with our stack and all the onboard sensors and carrier boards will make the new NRG modules a serious alternative for any kind of low-power wireless project.

panStamp NRG will be proudly showcased at Smart City Expo (Barcelona) between 19-21 November so if you are in Barcelona around those dates please come to visit us at Hall 2, booth F 648 (Innovation Zone).

It looks pretty good, although without the EEPROM you do need to implement some software for emulating EEPROM.  The info blocks aren't terribly useful, IMO, except for storing really small amounts of data that aren't written-to frequently.  If you are doing big enough file manipulation to warrant a three block overhead (1.5KB), I have a fast wear-leveling file system called "Veelite" that's in OpenTag (which is going to get ported to PanStamp NRG when I can get some), that you can look at.  For smaller file work, like 1KB or less, it's often better just to mirror the contents into SRAM and make sure to back-up into Flash on shutdown.  Veelite can do that do.  Admittedly, configuration of Veelite has a mean learning curve, but what did you expect -- this is embedded.  :)

• 4 months later...

Like most projects, the new panStamp has taken longer to develop than originally planed but beta units are now available.  They also have some more details on how they are using GDB bootloader.

This article shows an introspective view about GDB_bootloader, the compact bootloader included in our modules. This reduced version of GDB server lets us program the boards serially from msp430-gdb by means of a standard USB-UART (3.3V) gateway connected to the target board. On the other hand, NRG boards can also be programmed and debugged via JTAG SBW as well, in the same way we program launchpads. In summary, we provide two different programming methods depending on your needs and personal preferences.

Besides the firm-loading capability, the serial bootloader also implements a set of GDB instructions so that we can navigate into the internal memory of the CC430F5137 MCU and read/write values from it.

more here http://www.panstamp.com/

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm resurrecting my RF infrastructure (though I'm using BSP430 not Energia) and panstamp NRG would be a lot more compact than EXP430F5529LP+AnarenBoosterpack, though for a few cases I'll probably need the larger code capacity of other MSP430s. The panstamp store has a page, but no "buy here" button. Google's failed me; can anybody provide a status update or link to same? Cost, estimated date of availability, other pertinent information?

Thanks.