43oh

Did anyone see this clock on Dangerous Prototypes?

This looks pretty cool.  MSP430 + 2x 8x8 LED matrices, and a few other components.  Watch the video for features.

http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2784

They're always linking to us, so I figured this was appropriate. ;-)

This looks like a nice new challenge for my charlieplexing driver. I made a binary watch using 3 pins to drive 6 LEDs. In a similar manner I could drive 2*8*8 LEDs using 12 pins.

Since these MSPs have 20 pins - including crystal in/out, Vcc/Gnd and TEST - I have 15 pins left.

15 pins minus 12 is 3. That means I have just enough for the buzzer and the two buttons. As a result of this tight fit, I must reuse the RESET line as a button input. A trick that proved to me to be very stable.

This would save the two LED matrix drivers, but will require 12 resistors instead.

I suppose this could be a nice really tiny display solution :) Maybe the batteries would be a problem then...

This looks like a nice new challenge for my charlieplexing driver. I made a binary watch using 3 pins to drive 6 LEDs. In a similar manner I could drive 2*8*8 LEDs using 12 pins.

The 8x8 matrix is already arranged to do 8 column by 8 row multiplexing. One will have to layout individual leds to do charlieplexing. With 128 leds, the timing calculation will be quite a challenge along w/ the need to keep the brightness. You won't need resistors though.

I have done driving this direct is have two matrixes arranged cathode / anode (or rows / columns) reversed for matrix A and B.

I've played w/ such setup w/ an ATMega8 some years ago with 16pins direct drive. All done in a mini breadboard. The breadboard wires are crazy.

img_8961.jpg

The top is an RTC "module" via I2C, the bottom is a home-made avr programmer. I haven't touch this module for 3 years. It would be interesting to try do it on a 20pin G series.

And the underside.

img_8967.jpg